oil leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BODIDDLY, Oct 30, 2005.

1. BODIDDLY

BODIDDLY LawnSite Member

kohler 25 hp cv25s spec 69513. slow leak coming from under the engine.its not leaking at the gasket but under the engine..is there a gasket thats in the pto clutch area?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There is no other gasket on the bottom of this engine just the crankshaft seal which is part # 52 032 08-S.
    If you have a adjustable style PTO clutch you may want to check that, It should be .012 to .015, If this is out of spec. that could cause the clutch to pull more voltage from the battery and could also run warmer than normal and cause damage to the crank seal. (Just something to check into)

3. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

Ok let's open up a big can of worms here. If you do find that it is the oil seal leaking make sure the clutch is grounding properly. If the clutch loses it's ground it will try to ground through the crankshaft and normally eats up the lower main bearning. This was a problem back in 95 & 96 and it seems to be coming back. I've seen about a dozen of these this year.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a good idea, Althought I havn't seen this problem in years that very well could be the cause for the seal leaking.

5. monocognizant

monocognizant LawnSite Member

What's the end result of this clutch grounding issue? Does it just require a seal change? I too have a 25 hp Kohler with 63 hours on it. I have a substantial amount of oil on the bottom of the motor. I have not yet cleaned it to determine where it's coming from.

6. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

If it's like a lot of them I have seen you will need a new oil pan and possibly a new crankshaft and for sure a new clutch. Check and see if you can wiggle the crankshaft back and forth at all. If the bearing is eaten up badly enough the crank will move back and forth. If an electric clutch grounds internally it will usually keep working but the bad thing is it is now seeking a ground through the crankshaft. The crankshaft isn't actually grounded but is riding on a thin film of oil on the main bearings. Now when the clutch seeks a ground through the crank electricity arcs through that thin film of oil and like a mini arc welder eats away at the bearing surface until it gets sloppy and the seal starts leaking. At this point the oil pan is toast. Sometimes the crankshaft can be salvaged but if it were mine I would replace the pan and the crank unless the flywheel side main bearing is damaged too in which case it will need a short block. If your unit is still under warranty check with your equipment dealer. This would be something handled by the equipment manufacturer and not the engine manufacturer.

7. monocognizant

monocognizant LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply. No offence intended but, I don't like your answer. :nono:I'll have to check it out this weekend.