Oil leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DJ Contracting, Jun 1, 2008.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

I have an oil leak (hydraulic) at the right rear drive wheel of my 2148 Gravely, i have some pictures of the leak and where it is coming from and i have a few questions
    1. After removing the cotter pin & castle nut, how do i remove the brake hub?
    2. Is there a seal that is leaking in there?
    3. Is this a very difficult job?
    I was an auto mechanic for 15 years so tools and common sence are not a problem, i just have never worked on one of these

Oil leak 01.jpg

Oil leak 05.jpg

Oil leak 7.jpg

Oil leak 8.jpg

2. DJ Contracting

Bump this thread has pictures anybody

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

After you remove the cotter pin and nut use a hub puller like the one in the link
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=2248&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

But before you do, check for up and down play just like you would check front wheel bearing play on a car. You may have some play but too much play will mean a new wheel motor. Sometimes the output shaft(dust seal) or the seal you will see when you pull the hub will have fishing line or other debris rapped up in it and can be replaced but most times you will need an entire rebuild kit depending on the manufacture. You can usually find the manufacture info on the back side of the wheel motor.

4. DJ Contracting

Cool MowerMedic77 there is no play in the hub so i'll try and pull the hub but first i'll order the seal kit and have it in hand.