Oil light - Kohler 25 HP

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Wangel, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I was prepping my mower for winter storage, by changing the oil and filter in my Kohler 25 HP Command. Nothing abnormal, but after adding 10w30 Pennzoil synthetic (which I don't think had anything to do with the problem, as I have used it many times before) I started up the mower and the oil light did not go out. Normally after 3 seconds or so, the oil light would go out. After about 20 or 30 seconds, the engine came to an abrupt stop. I cranked the engine again, and it started up, but it was starting to get noisey (lifter noise). I unscrewed the oil filter and it was totally dry. Thinking the oil filter was bad, (Kohler filter) I put on another new Kohler filter. Started the engine again and let it run for about 10 to 15 seconds. Again, the oil light did not go out and it stopped abruptly. Fortunately, the engine is not locked up, but I need to find the problem. Has anyone else had this issue before? I suppose the oil pump could be bad?

What other tests can I do?

Could an oil passage be plugged?

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

Checking the oil pump would be a very good start. If that is not it you will more than likely find the problem while your in there.
  3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt an oil passage would be plugged. Its more than likely the plastic gear that drives the oil pump. A time consuming job, but not that bad. Gear and a pan gasket and crank seal are all ya need. Around 30 to 40 bucks parts wise. These are durable engines but make sure to check all oil related items while you have it apart to make sure.
  4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i've had this happen before, pour some oil in the filter, leave the dipstick out, then start....vapor lock perhaps, but it worked for me....
  5. taylob

taylob LawnSite Member
    from Texas

It could be an air lock but I would check oil pressure. You can check in the location on the carb. Behind it is either the oil pressure switch or an allen plug. screw a pressure gage into it and see if oil pressure builds up. If not it could be somethinf with the oil pump. If you engine is a verticle then I have seen the welch plug come out of the oil pump. This would be the cause of why you have no pressure, and the filter is not full of oil.
  6. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Just to let everyone know, the CaptDevo was right. I primed the oil filter and left off the oil cap and within 10 seconds, the oil pressure built up and was fine. It was a real scare as Kohler told me to disassemble the engine and replace the oil pump gear. They never heard of an air pocket. Glad I listened to you guys. You saved me a lot of time and money.