oil mix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, May 23, 2001.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

My friend, that races car says that putting 50:1 synthetic oil is not good and i should have alot more oil in the gas for longer engin life is this true i beleive echo recomends this mixture
  2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Amsoil actually has a synthetic they say can go 100:1 ! We go about 40:1 to cover all our stuff that is 32-50:1 dave
  3. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

car engine and a trimmer engine are two different things tell your friend. I use Amsoil 100 to 1 and my echos have not missed a lick yet. If you run more htan 50 to 1 I bet it wouldnt run to good and the muffer port would get blocked faster and you would have to wear a resiprator to keep the smoke from killing you.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm using Amsoil 100:1 synthetic oil mixed at 80:1 (8 oz to 5 gals of gas) in all of my 2 cycle engines. This includes a Lawnboy mower and Stihl, Shindaiwa, Husquavarna and Echo small engines. None of these engines has suffered any ill effects and they don't smoke anymore.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

you will also be just fine with echo 50-1 and high octane
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Racing cars? That has absolutely nothing to do with two cycles. I have run Amsoil 100:1 in my two cycle equipment for 8 years +, at 60:1, 80:1, 100:1, 120:1 ;) No problems, 80:1 is probably the best choice.

If you want a cloud of smoke, more maintenance and less power, by all means use more oil.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm running at 50:1, what Stihl suggests. It might be a bit rich, but better safe than sorry. It doesn't hurt the performance, just a little messy. Just my 2 cents.