Oil Mixture in Lawnmower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pepper, Apr 11, 2001.

1. pepper

pepper LawnSite Member

I hope someone else has gone through this and can help me. One of my employees ran our oil/gas mixture through a new Husqvarna 580 RS and of course it quit running. I have cleaned out the carb, replaced the spark plug, drained out all the mix from gas tank. I tried starting fluid and still nothing. I appreciate any and all advice on how I can get this up and running. I'm trying to avoid the cost of taking it to a repair man. Many thanks in advance.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

After trying to start it, see if the plug gets wet. If it does you are getting gas. Take the plug out and hook it up to the plug wire and ground the plug on something. Pull the rope and look to see if you have any spark at the plug tip. If you have both, it should start. If you are not getting gas, they oil could of plugged up something. You did say you cleaned the carb, so I would think your getting gas. If it won't fire with starting fluid, it sounds like you lost spark.

I had a guy put in diesel fuel in my w/b snow blower once. That eventually started even without taking the carb apart. Let us know a bit more on the results of the tests decribed above.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Actually the mower should not have quit running. Like Eric said above it sounds like an ignition problem. Coincidence perhaps? You decide.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive run mix before in several 4 cycle motors and
    could never tell much difference.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree Richard, it should still run. It would just smoke like crazy compared to normal. I think it's more like, (It just quit).
  6. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

I've been out cutting firewood and ran out of gas in my old garden tractor and put mix in, form the chainsaw, and never could tell the difference. When it's mixed 50 to 1 there not much mix in the gas anyway.