1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oil pressure safety switch?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by D6c, Jul 1, 2008.

1. D6c

D6c LawnSite Member
    from IA

On my Kohler 27hp (Exmark ZTR, '05 or '06) engine there is what apears to be an oil pressure sending unit on top of the engine....is this wired as a low oil pressure safety shut-down or is it used to control the hour meter, or something else?

If it's not a pressure safety has anyone wired it up to be one?
    Has anyone installed an oil pressure gage on an Exmark?

I like the idea of having both a safety and being able to see the pressure on a gage.
  2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it's an oil pressure sensor. And it's usually near the oil filter mount. Not familiar with this engine.

The reason they're not wired up, is that it's DANGEROUS to have it hooked up as a low oil pressure shut-down on a vehicle. The engine stutters, you get jerked around, you fall under the unit, you get hurt. Then you (or your estate) sues. You get the idea.

That's why they're not hooked up on lawn tractors (for homeowners) either.

You can, however, just hook it up to an electrical guage that shows pressure, without hooking it into the kill circuit.
  3. D6c

D6c LawnSite Member
    from IA

Let me clarify....the sending unit is currently wired in, I just didn't know if it was a low pressure cut-off or not?
  4. DCTractor

DCTractor LawnSite Member

Oil Sentries are typically located adjacent to the oil filter with a single male spade terminal on the end. They come in two varieties. One will not allow you to the machine if it has insufficient oil pressure, but it will NOT shut down if you lose oil pressure while running. The other variety will shut down if you lose pressure while running.

If you'd like some more help identifying this, it would be helpful if you either posted pictures or your engine Model, Spec and Code numbers, or better yet, both.
  5. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Typically, if you ride/drive it, it won't shut the engine off.
    You're on your "machine" crossing a highway. Engine quits, SPLAT!