Oil Pumps

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JimBab, Feb 25, 2006.

1. JimBab

JimBab LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried one of the new manually operated oil pumps to change the oil in their machines? I just recieved a catalog from DR Power and they have one available for $34.95. Any comments??

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Why, why why??? I dont understand why people around here want to pump oil out when there is a easily accessible drain plug that does a better job at letting the crud out of the engine. Unless this is a push mower or the like or you change your oil every 15 hours, save your money.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

local dealer here has 1, seems pretty cool it pulls the oil out of a z in 2 or 3 mins,i have saw em priced at 30 bucks and up to 100 bucks.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

there was a lengthy thread on this topic very recently. most agreed that as long as you warm the engine up before sucking the oil out (which you should do when draining it too) it's going to suspend the gunk and it will come out with the oil reguardless of whether you suck it out or drain it.

here's that thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=133512

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Guess not all mowers have a nice tube comming from engine with a drain plug easily accessible...:cool2:

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, Mine is air operated. :waving:

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Some of them have no plug,your smaller one's like 13 honda's and small horse power kawasaki's.

8. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I'm with RR, the only way to go is air operated vacuum pump. Mine is made by Thomas Industries I believe. Will empty a 2 quart Kaw in 30-45 seconds if the oil is warm and will do every bit as complete a job as a drain with no mess. Tank holds three gallons.

Dutch

9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I have used them but quit when I discovered that they don't completely remove the oil in some engines. This is due to the fact that the dipstick hole is not as low as the drain plug on some engines. If you use one double check by pulling the drain plug after you use the pump to see how complete of a job it does. I don't use them anymore.

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I only use my pump on smaller equipment like pressure washers, Air compressors, Walk-behind mowers that makes a mess while draining. I put 2x4 blocks under the unit to tip it and make the oil run to the filler hole.