Oil Question(s)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HighGrass, Aug 7, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

1- Is it ok to run a synthetic oil for a period of time and then switch back to regular oil. ( Lazer HP/23HP kawi)?

2- Is it ok to run a multi-viscosity synthetic (Mobil one) in a commercial mower? I've heard that there is a consumption here is hat true? If so, how much would you expect to consume in 40 hours (Myoil change rate)
    I like the idea of getting Mobil One (5 quart jug!) at Walmart!

3- I am currently running Amalie(sp?) High performance 30W. O don't think I've ever seen an oil pour so clear. Anybody use it on their mowers?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I run mobil one 15/50 on my mower. Started after 75 hours, and it runs terrific with the syn in it. Consumption is not that bad on mine, but still a factor. In 40 hours you may use like 1/8-1/5 quart of consumption. As for switching back to a regular oil, once you start synthetics, why would you want to switch back? They really do give enhanced performance that is noticable, but if you wanted to switch back, no harm is done.

3. fourseasonlawns

fourseasonlawns LawnSite Member

I run Mobil 1 10/30. since the first oil change. from my understanding you can always switch back or even mix oils, but why would you? I only carry synthetic oil and grease on my trailer.

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I guess the reason I ask if you got caught in a pinch for some oil...like all the stores are closed yatta, yatta, yatta.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Im not sure you would wanna mix synthetic and dino oils.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run Rotella 15w-40 dino in all my kawi's...that includes a 23 kawi. Very good heavy duty oil. I change it and filter at 42-48 hours. I put 2 quarts of oil in it and never have to add anything between changes.