1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Oil Questions....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jun 19, 2010.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

So, once again it's time for an oil change for the Scag. I am currently using Pennzoil 30HD but can't find it in gallon jugs. Always looking to save money and improve performance.
    What do you guys use in your MOWERS?

I'm thinking about switching.

2. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I dont recommend trying to save money when it comes to engine protection. I run Amzoil in my Turf Tiger. My Scag dealer starts running it at 100 hours. Also use the Amzoil grease in all my spindles and trailer bearings.

3. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30,$25 for a 5 qt jug at walmart.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Pennzoil 10w30 dino in everything but my wife's Cobalt. I change the oil every 100 hours and the filter every 200 just like the manual says to for my Kohler and 2 Kawasaki engines.

5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

So you've had good luck with a multi weight oil in what mower/Motor?

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

10w30. all i know is its in blue bottles from napa. i get a case of it at a time. same stuff i put in my vehicle only the truck is 5w30.

i never understand the guys who will say to put the best most expensive oil in there vehicles or equipment. i've always bought the cheap stuff for everything.

i recently did switch to buying stihl oil for my stihl equipment but thats mostly a test for me to see if i notice any sort of difference from teh cheap stuff i was using. so far after almost a month i haven't seen any difference in performance. but i now have a brand new stihl fs70 and it requires at least the partially synthetic oil from stihl so i'm stuck buying stihl oil from here on out.

as for the mowers. the same napa oil i put in my vehicles will go in the mowers.

oh and the mowers are toro and exmark with kaw engines.

7. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

25hp kawi on 2002 wright stander(it's the exact oil recommended by the owners manual,also could use amsOil 10w40) also 12hp bobcat walk behind,21' push,and belt edger.

8. Grubrunner

Grubrunner LawnSite Member

If the "blue bottles" are all you've ever used then you have no idea on what you're missing out on.

But hey, more power to you.

You believe that?

If you do: I have a nice bridge for sale in Sydney, Australia. A little used and abused but I'll give it to you for a bargain.... interested?

HERE, save yourself some money.... bet it's cheaper than Stihl.

Poor mowers/engines.

Anyway, I always use Amsoil on anything with a motor.... always!

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ase.aspx

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Why don't you explain to all of us just what it is that he's missing?

10. Grubrunner

Grubrunner LawnSite Member

I couldn't be bothered here, no offence. But I'd be more than happy to post some links to graphs/reviews/test/comparisons between Amsoil and other oils.... interested?

If you've used ordinary oil then converted to Amsoil, then you'd know.