Oil Recommended in 27hp Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1998tahoe, Jun 11, 2008.

1. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

I hae a 27HP kohler AIR COOLED. It has 40 hrs on it. Has had Opti 4 in since new changed 3 times. But that stuff is awful high.. What is the best air cooled oil to use???

Is the Kohler oil good????
  2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I use Mobil 1 10w-30 on my 23 and 25, I believe with kohler it has hydraulic lifters and you need 10w-30
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Mobile One is good, you can get the 5 quart jug at Walmart for about $22. That's only about $4+ a quart. Any good 10W-30 will work fine.
  4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the kolher oil is all i use as i had valve noise with ANY other oil
  5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

well with opti you should stay with synthetic. I would use mobil extended or amsoil. They should of let the engine break in first before putting in opti. 40 hours and three changes guy must have been bored.
  6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, never heard valve noise but nothing but Kohler 10W-30 is all that has ever been in one of my mowers either.

The Kohler engineer's said they put additives in their oil for lifter noise and other reasons of engine function. You are the first one; I guess I've heard say they had lifter noise with another brand of oil in a Kohler engine then changed to their oil, and it stopped. What brand were you using before the Kohler oil?
  7. lawnboy dan

i used mobil 1 . my engine has 1600 hrs on it but dosnt burn oil and runs great but i got lifter noise even with frequent changes. i was about to send the engine to the dealer for work and in desperation i tried the kolher oil-noise stopped the next day! i am a believer now!. my 12.5 command will run on any brand with no noise but my 23 hp is a diff story
  8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That is very interesting, I'm glad you shared that with us..... How many hours have you run the Kohler oil?
  9. lawnboy dan

been running the kohler oil for aprox 200 hrs -no noise
  10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup the kohler oil is very good oil. I have a feeling they added higher amounts of zinc and moly which is good for the cam and lifters. It seems like some kohlers can get noisy and some never do. Kohler uses a generic chevrolet lifter in there engines.

Now in my 18hp kohler I run either mobil 1 or penzoil platinum and it has over 2200 hours on it.