oil spilled on new pavers

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bobbyg18, May 13, 2007.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

i just bought a 4 in 1 bucket...the first time i used it, it had a loose connection and the oil spewed out on my customers new paver walkway...i did not install the pavers, i was just removing some rocks and fill

my question is, can i flip the pavers over?

i have never worked w/ the pavers...any advice would help...its about 15 pavers...what is the easiest way to do this?...thanks

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Remove a few of the GOOD pavers and go to a supplier to have them matched up. The tops and bottoms are different so you cannot flip them over. Depending how tight they are in you may bust one up just to get another out......use an edging shovel.

Overall, its a cheap fix.

3. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Just replace them as thomas said.
    A screw driver and a little time will work or you could speed up the process with pressure washer to get the sand out of the joints. Or just bust the first paver with a hammer

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

not so fast!

Depending on the brand and style of pavers - YOU MAY BE ABLE TO SIMPLY FLIP THE PAVERS.

To find out - just pop a paver out of place and look and see if the bottom is identical to the top. if so, you're good to go.

if not - then do as previously recommended! If you do have to buy new - some suppliers require that you buy either full pallets or straps or layers. It would suck if you had to buy a full pallet to replace 15 units. So maybe the homeowner can tell you who installed the pavers and maybe that contractor has left overs in his/her yard that you could buy or have. We always pallets and pallets of left overs in our yard, which would come in handy if we needed to replace 15 or so units.

5. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

Before you do anything, you need to post this in the pressure washing forum as well. There is a product that commercial pressure washing companies use that is a dry enzyme that will eat the oil, even below the surface. I'm not sure of the name but pm Squirtgun or FCPWLLC and they should know. Hope this helps

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Hotsy has a chemical called hd or hdb that sould pull the stain out itz worth a try.

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

There is also an oil/grease remover made by Techniseal that will work wonders.

chris