1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oil Stains on Pavers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by turfquip, May 14, 2001.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Any easy to remove oil spots without replacing the paver?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated :)

2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

They do make a lot of special paver cleaners for this, but for only a few you may not want spend the time locating or the money on buying a 5 gallon pail that you will never use.

Simple ideas like power washing may be a start. If not, try some soap/degreaser and a good steel bristle brush.

Last, but not least, a little, and I mean a little, meriatic acid can go a long way. Be sure to dilute with water, and after scrubbing, rinse the area with lots of water. It will eat a way a little of the surface, but not that noticeable. Did this once a few years ago and the area I cleaned still looks good today.

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Try this.... a little laundry detergent brush and pressure washer...careful with the pressure washer not to get it to clean... I used to seal hundreds of paving stone driveways...the laundry detergent was our SECRET INGREDIENT ...we would sprinkle a bit on the dark lines where the car would drive up and down the driveway..light brush...pressure wash the whole driveway.....light sand to fill the cracks....sweep clean.....2 coats of sealer....looked great