1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oil stains

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barkleymut, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I am doing a big mulch job for a very upscale customer. Fortunately they are out of town for the next few days. Unfortunately the delivery truck dripped some oil or transmission fluid on their driveway. Half of the drive is brick, the other half is asphalt. I have a Crapsman powerwasher but I don't know if that is the answer. Should I use something else or some type of cleaner for the power washer. I need this done Friday morning so any quick responses will be appreciated.
  2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a solvent and then cover with oil dry .

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Visit a good automotive retailer. They should sell by the gallon a couple different products specifically designed for removing oil stains.

4. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to a parts store buy a can of brake parts cleaner, get some kitty litter or speedy dry and a small piece of 2x4. Spray the oil spots with the cleaner while its still wet put some speedy dry on it and work it in with the 2x4. Then sweep it up you may have to do it a few times but it will clean it up.
  5. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Starter fluid works as well. 2-3 cans should knock it out.

I hope that the mulch/delivery company is paying for your time.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

on concrete i have used tide and elbow grease
  7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

be careful if you use brake parts cleaner and get NON-CHLORINATED. The pavement can be discolored and eaten by something that strong. We use Tide in a powerwasher to clean stuff when we get the garage really dirty with the race car. I learned that tip from a few guys who work in garages.
  8. Nothing is going to work better on brick or pourous concrete.

Liquid laundry detergant that will break down oil.

Get a good scrub broom also.

Starter fluid or Brake cleaner will kill any grass near by, altought it should evaporate, I would not take a chance on a paver drive.

Anything with a solvant will kill the grass near by, and can leave a residue.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the above 2. Since you have the powerwasher put the tide in it.
  10. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

I know this reply is a little late for you but in the future try this lol you guys are going to love this one.........

1. stop at the local convience store and buy a 20oz bottle of coca-cola and a scrub brush

2. go to the stain pour some on it just enough to cover the stain and scrub it with the brush (scrub hard) and reapeat as needed

I know you guys are say what is this guy smoking but let me tell ya it works in a jam I have done it and didnt harm any grass or plants:p

Also another tip for the kitchen not the green industry your wife or girlfriend will also love this

when you have a pot or pan with baked on burnt stuff. Take a dryer sheet (yes the kind you use the a clothes dryer, a used one will work fine) and fill the pot or pan with warm water, put dryer sheet in and soak it over night. Next morning dump water and use the dryer sheet to wipe off the junk that was stuck to the bottom and then wash!:D

this info is priceless and you could sell this info to your wife/girlfriend..lol or get some good favors for the info if you know what I mean:eek: :angel: