1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

oil .. synthetic or conventional

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey humphrey, Mar 24, 2008.

1. casey humphrey

casey humphrey LawnSite Member

hey guys and gals i was in the discussion with a friend about oil ..... i have a scag 52 walk i just bought i was going to do a oil change on this mach. don't think he used synthetic if i use synthetic will this harm or affect mach.???
    also what is better for the machines ???? synthetic or conventional ???

what are ur thoughts on this ??? Amsoil??
  2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic.
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

ooohhh boy here we go again....

I did 100 hour changes with synthetic, and I do 10K on my cars with synthetic. mobil 1 5/30 if the change happens in the winter 10/30 if it happens in summer.
  4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I still use dino oil and change it weekly which is about every 30 hrs. per machine. You can go longer between changes with syn. oil. I've only heard of high mileage truck or car motors having some problems when going from dino to syn.
  5. Atlantic Lawn

Hmmmm, Marc, don't see anything under the G's in the Sweet 16......Can You please explain ?
  6. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Synthetic is always better. If you are willing to change oil a half the recommended interval, dino would be almost just as good. Only use synthetic oil after the breakin. Do not use synthetic just to extend the oil change period. Don't extend past the recomended changing period no matter what. Do not listen to oil sale people's gimmic of extending changing period. Nothing beat changing oil more often.
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

nope. GU isn't my team, they just pay my salary....UF is...but they aren't in the dance either...I guess two in row was enough to make a point, three if you count football...:)
  8. Atlantic Lawn

Just go ahead and support UNC then......
  9. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Most new small engine mfg. recommend synthetic, but they still keep the service intervals the same as dino.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

When I'm working, should it hang to the left, or should it hang to the right?

I would say, if you're asking this question probably you should stick with dino.
    And consider perhaps one day switch to synthetic.
    Because why argue about it if the difference isn't understood?

I run synth, and premium fuels, and double platinum plugs, but... Regular grease, the cheapest, 79 cents a big tube :laugh:
    So why argue about it?

It takes way too long to outline here my exact cost / hour maintenance and parts over income-expense profit percent formulareas lol
    But that's what it boils down to, in my case, is cost, but long and short term, performance vs. down-time and all that crap is figured in.
    And that takes time, so just run dino until you see things different, best way I can say it, some folks dino forever, others synth, whatever.