Oil Viscosity

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ple_1969, May 13, 2004.

1. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Terry,

What weight oil is put in the 17HP Kawasaki at the factory? I have about 10 hours on my TTHP and I’m going to change the oil. My dealer suggested that I use a straight 30W instead of a multi viscosity 10W- 30. Would you agree?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Pete,

Kawasaki recommends a straight 30 weight. The Kohlers need a multi-weight oil.

Thanks,

Terry

3. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Thanks Terry! Would you suggest to change my the filter too? The manual only states an oil change.

Pete

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

I use Mobil 1 5W/30.

5. eXmark

Pete,

The manual states the service interval for the oil is 100 hours and 200 hours on the filter. I generally recommend 50 hours for both. I’ve seen some guys go 100 hours on the filters with no issues but I have not data that indicates if the 100 hour interval has caused any issues.

Personally I change my oil at 50 hours and always change the filter at that time as well.

Thanks,

Terry

6. eXmark

Pete,

I double checked with Kaw and looked at the manual agian. You can use the multi-weight oils below say 95 or 100 degrees. The multi-weight oils may increase combustion chamber deposits as well as create a slight increase in oil consumption.

Thanks

Terry