Oil with Moly good for hydro's too?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I know the moly is supposed to be good for the engines. But I do not know as much about the mechanicals of hydro systems... so is Moly important to help hydro life to... or not?
  2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Good question.. I am interested to know this as well. What brand of oil are you using for the engines. I know Schaeffer's have a good molly blend. I wanted to try some, but it's to hard to get even though the company head quarters are across the river from me.

I was doing a lot of research over the winter, but gave up and picked Amsoil diesel HD 30W - 10w-30. It is labeled as both multi weight and straight.
  3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Seems a lot of hydro systems are using Mobil 1 Synthetic motor oil.

I have used Amoco Synthetic oil in all my cars and gas engines since it came out and it is wonderful stuff.

Just bought a Dodge 2500 with the cummins diesel in it last oct, and I put Valvoline Synthetic - Specifically made for cummins diesels - in it the first time I had to change the oil - I run it 10,000 between changes - does not use a drop.

I also use the Valvoline Diesel Synthetic in my 3 Yanmar Diesels.

Thanks Brad
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I see no reason that Molybdenum would harm the hydraulic system of our hydraulics. Plus, most oils have moly in the now.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, that's some good stuff you are running there I'm sure. I have no doubt that's great for mower applications. Synthetics are good, and in general, oils rated for gas and diesel are just generally tougher oils. Great for off road use. Amsoil has found a creative way to label this oil, so that it makes it's way into more A/C gas engines.... Were you in that big 'ol oil discussion we were having a while back about 15w40 by chance???

Anyways, that brand is hard to get here also. My best guess is because few people here are willing to pay the $6 per qt price. I looked into Amsoil long ago when I first started to look for a 20w50 synthetic.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Yes, many do now use the 15w50 Mobil 1 in their hydros. I know that is good oil. But I also can't help but admit that it does induce a bit of head scratching on my part. What I mean is, I often wonder if it's basically chosen for piggy-back marketing, or because it's more cost effective to have a 2-3 quart system, if it's really the best, ect, ect...

This is because I look at some things that have much higher capacity systems, 2 or 3 gallons v/s 2 or 3 qts, and those use dino oils...

Anyways, that's just some blabbing on my part. What I really wanted to say is that I have not seen any Amoco oils around here. Plus I also wanted to let you know that if you have a NAPA auto parts in your area, that you may be able to save quite a bit on your Valvoline oil there because they are the makers of NAPA oil.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

I'm thinking that also...
    But also wondering if it's properties are also as good for hydros...
    Basically because I don't understand as much about the interal moving parts in them.
  8. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Don't believe the moly additive would cause hydro problems and many oils have it as part of an additive package for IIRC wear resistance. With the cost of hydro system repair/parts would not like to stray from manufacturers recommendation. Wright Stander Manual calls for Mobil One 10W30. Suspect the use of synthetic oil for hydro system is for additional heat resistance over non-synthetic. I do not see an oil cooler in use on the Stander unless it is the flat surface area of the hydro oil tank.

Best regards

9. Envy Lawn Service

That is the first 10w30 synthetic system I have heard of.
    Most use 15w50 synthetic or 20w50 dino.

But yeah, I wouldn't stray from what the MFG says for hydro oil.
    The eXmark uses 15w50 Mobil 1.
    The Lesco uses 20w50 dino, but a lot more of it, 3 gallons, and it has fans on the pumps.
  10. StealthDT

StealthDT LawnSite Member

I wouldn't use moly. First of all, it's a solid suspended in oil. It can't escape gravity causing an accumulation in the lowest part of the tank. Second, moly builds up on surfaces reducing clearances. This is actually causing the very condition that moly is advertized to protect against (metal to metal contact). Third, moly is generally designed for sliding movements under extreme loads & pressure, not rotary or pumping. Using moly as a break-in lube on new camshafts is acceptable, but not in a hydro.