1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jgmusial, Nov 26, 2005.

1. jgmusial

jgmusial LawnSite Member

I just bought a walk-behind with a 15hp Kawasaki. I want to change the oil before I put it away for the winter, but I don't know what kind of oil is in it. Is there a way to tell if it has synthetic oil in it? Is there a problem replacing synthetic oil with petro oil? Should I drain the fuel system or use stabil and leave some gas in it? any help appreciated.
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

A) There is nothing wrong with replacing a synthetic oil with a petro oil.
    B) You can either drain the fuel out of then tanks and carb bowl or add stabil and run the mower until you are sure stabilized gas has entered the carb - 4-5 minutes should do.
  3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 Kawasaki engines on my 2 WB mowers. I use Quaker State 10W-30 in both of them (non-synthetic). As long as you change the oil and filter, you should be fine. As for stabilizing it, fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer (Briggs brand or Sta-bil brand) to the tank. Run the engine for a few minutes, then close fuel valve and run carb dry. Now you're ready for winter. Hope this helps!
  4. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Which is prefered for a oil change on a mower, change oil in fall or in the spring? Thanks.
  5. lawnmaniac883

There really isnt a "Preffered" time to change the oil. If you just got it, change it now, you never know when it was last changed. In the commercial maintenance business, most of us perform oil changes after 50-100 hours of operation.
  6. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me see if I can word my question better. If your mower is due for an oil change (just as it goes into winter storage), would it be best to change oil now or wait until spring?

I realize that it really does not matter that much, but I wanted to hear what the technical experts had to say on the subject.
  7. lawnmaniac883

Best to have clean oil sitting in the crankcase than having sludge and sediment from oil spent oil collecting on the bottom, if that is what you were referring to. Change it before storage.
  8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Also always warm the engine before changing and if possible tip the unit so most if any sludge runs out the drain.
    Just had to get my .02 in. LOL