Discussion in 'eXmark' started by acgwinnett, Aug 13, 2007.

1. acgwinnett

acgwinnett LawnSite Member

I just purchased a Exmark 66" with a 31hp Vanguard engine(Love it by the way). My Dealer gave me one 48oz jug of SAE 30 . The service book is not very clear, but I didnt think a straight 30 weight was meant to be run with a filtered engine. I also dont think 48oz is enough oil. The book seemed to say around 80oz. Thanks for the help!!!
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Straight weight is actually what Vanguard would recommend running in that engine. You can run a multi-grade as well, but you would probably see higher oil consumption.

You are correct, the oil capacity is a little under 2.5qts, so that won't be enough for an oil change. That (48oz) just happens to be the size of jug that most oil is packaged in.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.
  3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

the owners manual for the engine should tell you in the maintenance section how much oil the engine takes, and also what kind. But yes, a Briggs air cooled is speced for 30wt. Might be a good idea to stay with a 30wt oil with the additives added to increase the cooling capability for air cooled engines.
  4. acgwinnett

acgwinnett LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help now I dont fell like such a rookie!!!