Oil

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ahoude23, Jun 21, 2008.

1. ahoude23

ahoude23 LawnSite Member
    from Yale MI

Couple oil questions here. Spent a lot of time lurking before I bought a machine. A lot of good info on this site. Just picked up a Hustler Z 25/60 for non commercial use. Have about 6 acres of my own and 2 for my mother to mow, possibly pick up my in-laws with another 4. Very pleased with the machine so far (4 hrs.). The Hustler manual says change oil every 40 hrs and then has footnote that says follow engine manual. Kawa engine manual says change oil every 100 hrs. Which is correct? Second is about the Hustler super oil. At about $12.50 per Qt. it is about twice that of Mobile 1 or Amsoil full synthetic. Other than the doubling of the engine warranty, what are the advantages of super oil. Is the synthetic acceptable, preferred, or not recommended. Don't mind spending the money for the super oil if there is a good reason.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Here is what our manual says.

Change the engine oil and filter after the first 5 hours of operation, per the engine manufacturerÂ’s recommendations after that.
    If tractor is being operated in extremely dirty conditions, then it is
    recommended oil be changed more frequently.

Go with the engine manual recommendations.

As to the Super Oil, it is not synthetic, it is a high quality blend of oil.
    You would get the additional 2 years of engine warranty and a good oil.
    Using synthetic is fine also, stick with a good name brand of oil and you will be fine.

Pj

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Pj, In your opinion, at what hours is it to late to change to synthetic oil? My SZ has about 1100hrs on it and I was thinking about changing to synthetic, but have been told to stick with dino because of the age / hours on the machine.
    Have your R&D team done any research on synth v dino?
    Is it really worth the extra cost when I change oil at 50 and filters at 100 hrs.
    Just after yours and anyone elses opinions is all!

4. la200o

la200o LawnSite Member

I'm not sure it's quite this simple. I asked the same question awhile ago. My mower is a 20/54 Fastrak. The Hustler manual says (after the initial change), change every 40 hours. The Honda manual says, every 100 hours. The Hustler consultant on this forum said in response to my question, follow the Hustler manual. To add to the confusion, my dealer--a big mower shop that handles a lot of Hustlers--says, every 50 hours.

Let me say that I greatly appreciated the presence and advice given on this forum by the Hustler rep and others, so this isn't a complaint. . . but I wish this could be clarified for once and for all. There's a lot of difference between 40 and 100 hours!

Bill

5. ahoude23

ahoude23 LawnSite Member
    from Yale MI

Thanks for the info. I'd guess the super oil is geared more for air cooled motor vs the synthetics more for liquid cooled auto applications, correct? The only complaint so far is the mower cuts too fast leaving too much time for the honey-do list. She keeps bugging me to learn how to operate it, I keep telling her its too complicated for her. Hope she doesn't figure it out for a few years.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Its not to late in my opinion.
    I don't believe our engineers have doen engine oil research, but I will ask.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Super Oil is geared to air and liquid cooled engines we use.
    You need to find more grass to mow, or at least slow down a bit to keep that honey do list down to a minimum... lol... :laugh:

8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks Pj. I'll think about it some more before doing it. Synth oil cost a heap more and because of such regular changes, not sure if its really worth it!
    Cheers

9. RobinM

RobinM LawnSite Member

That's what I tell my husband, too. When he sees me scraping the deck, he's content to just go fishing. I win! :laugh:

Happy Fourth!! :usflag: :drinkup: