1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rich's Lawn Care, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

What brand oil is everyone using in there mowers?

i have a Exmark Lazer hp 23 kaw.
  2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Rotella 5-40 syn. use it in a Briggs 16 hp, Kaw 23 hp, and a 28 hp Generac
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

What ever is cheap

straight 30

5/30 during the cold times of year.

Always check them and change with some what of regularity.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm on my 2nd eXmark with 23 kawi. I use the Opti-4 SAE 30. Since 2000 I've had zero motor problems.
  5. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

I looked at Mobil 1 15w50 today while buying a new belt for my Lazer. Can anyone explain what the 15w50 actually means?
  6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

It's temperature ranges

The lower the first number is. The easier it is for that oil to be distributed through the engine in cold weather.

Higher the second number. The oil will sustain higher temps without it's self breaking down.

5/30 for cold weather

10/30 for warm weather

10/40 for hot weather.

Though I have been told that the greater the difference in the high and low, the faster the oil breaks down anyway
  7. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Thanks Glan, Does synthetic oil have a longer shelf life than regular oil?
  8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Shelf life for motor oil, never heard of such these days with plastic jugs. Past years with 'tin' tops and bottoms and cardboard 'cans', the container would break down, but not the oil.
  9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I'll do my best to explain the oil weight issue. Read this in an article by Ed Hackett of the Vintage triumph register.

To begin, viscosity is a measure of the "flowability" of an oil. More specifically, it is the property of an oil to develop and maintain a certain amount of shearing stress dependent on flow, and then to offer continued resistance to flow. Thicker oils generally have a higher viscosity, and thinner oils a lower viscosity. This is the most important property for an engine. An oil with too low a viscosity can shear and loose film strength at high temperatures. An oil with too high a viscosity may not pump to the proper parts at low temps. and the film may tear at high rpm.

The weights are arbitrary numbers assigned by the S.A.E. and correspond to "real" viscosity, as meassured by several accepted techniques. These measurements are taken at specific temperatures allowing them to be catigorized 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 by the SAE. The W means the oil meets specifications for viscosity at 0 degrees F and is therefore suitable for Winter use.

Multi viscosity oils work like this: Polymers are added to a light base (5W, 10W, 20W), which prevent the oil form thinning as much as it warms up. At cold temperatures the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to lfow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.

Think that's enough for Oils 101 tonight. Any questions?
  10. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Mobil 1 synthetic. All grades for a equipment. Truck included.