Oils for Stihl other than Stihl Ultra, Amsoil, and Opti 2

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scagmower48, Mar 4, 2010.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

exactly what we saw, the drop off of carbon buidup to where it was little or none in a year. the older trimmers also started to run better and we get about 3-5, even 6 years out of trimmers depending on who runs them. some guys are hard on tools and the machines take the brundt

2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

OK oK, enough praising on OPTI, how about a little on Amsoil??:laugh::laugh::laugh::waving:

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This is one of the reasons I do use Amsoil mixed at 80:1. I have never had to clean out any carbon deposits from my Stihl FC75, FS80, FC95 or BR600. In fact, they all still have the exhaust screens in them without having had to ever clean them. It's not that the Amsoil burns any cleaner (although I'm sure it does) but that I don't have to mix as much oil in. The less oil you run through those ports the less buildup you will get.

4. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

You've got more guts than I do. I couldn't run 80:1 if the manufacturer recommends 50:1

5. Richard Martin

I have 1 piece of equipment here that been running since 2001 that way. Every piece of equipment I've ever used Amsoil at 80:1 in is still running today. That's a pretty good testimonial.

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

all these things you guys list as reason to use the more expensive mixes sound and are great and they would make me switch if it weren't for one thing........

i don't have any of those issues using the oil i use. i don't have carbon deposits ever since i started running my trimmers at high throttle all the time.

i peform maintenance on my trimmers, blowers, edgers once a season. i'll clean the fliter out periodically because it does get dirty sometimes with grass and other debris but thats it.

so how do you convince someone who uses the cheap oil that the more expensive oil is better when they don't have any issues to begin with?????

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I also like the 80 to 1, fattens up the mixture a little, just what these lean burn motors need IMO.

8. Richard Martin

I'm not trying to convince you of anything or to try anything. I'm just stating what works for me. I used Echo oil before Amsoil and always had carbon deposits and oil coming out of the mufflers with a 50:1 mix. Now I don't have those problems. I don't run my trimmers or edger wide open all of the time. In fact I probably don't even do it most of the time. I use just enough throttle to get the job done to my satisfaction. IMO, not every situation calls for full throttle unless you're trying to burn the grass to the ground.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

amen......

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I LIKE full throttle!:laugh: