Oils for Stihl other than Stihl Ultra, Amsoil, and Opti 2

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scagmower48, Mar 4, 2010.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, they do like it. Mix it to the bottle's directions and don't look back. You'll never be happier you did. I think the mixture might actually be 100:1 ratio too. Amsoil is 80:1

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Stihl FS90R trimmer, 4-Mix. I use Amsoil, 75:1, and it works well. I used 50:1 for a few months when new, but switched to the leaner mix. I use 75:1 Amsoil in other Stihl products as well (FC85, HS80, BG85).

3. fatguy28

fatguy28 LawnSite Member

well here it is you pay 4-5 hundred dollers for a piece of equipment.. just put in it what the manufacture recommends that is what it's designed for.:nono::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have close to 10 years experience of using Amsoil mixed at 80:1. It won't hurt a thing. I've used it in Echo, Shindaiwa and Stihl (both 2 stroke and 4 Mix) with ZERO oil related failures. Oh, I'm sorry. There has been one oil related failure... The failure of me to have to decarbonize everything and replace spark plugs long before they're worn out. :laugh:

5. smalltime lawn guy

smalltime lawn guy LawnSite Member

I don't doubt that going to 80 or 100-1 with Amsoil or Opti is very possible but if there is an equipment failure what recourse do I have then? I do have a craftsman trimmer as a backup I would use that way to experiment but I don't have the balls to try it with the Stihl! At least until it is out of warranty. Using Opti at the 50:1 ratio would still give me all the advantages of a superior oil right? I use a small fraction of the oil most of you guys do so cost is not a big deal to me.I just want the best oil possible at the 50:1 ratio.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, you would be mixing it heavy and probably get more smoke and more exhaust residue.

I've been running a 90's FS 66 that I bought for 15 bucks. In 5 years it has served me well and was my primary trimmer for 3.5 years. I still use it to cut bed edges and such. Still hasn't let me down.

Amsoil I know for sure has a warranty for equipment failure if you use their product. Give it the Pepsi Challenge and I'm sure you would change your mind.

7. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

It would seem to me that the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act would prohibit dealers from denying warranty claims based on not using their oil. I am not an attorney, so google "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" and decide for yourself.

8. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

See my post #58 on this same thread. Stihl didn't deny warranty based on the brand of oil--they objected to the ratio. To my knowledge, my friend did not contact Opti-2. From my experience in other things, the more parties you get involved in denying fault, the more complicated it is to get any one to actually step forward and cover the loss.