Oily exhaust from Husqvarna Trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowerman90, Dec 22, 2007.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Husky 323L trimmer that I feel is the best trimmer I've ever owned. It's light (9lbs), has great throttle response and plenty of power. However, one thing that bothers me about it and previous Husky trimmers I've owned, is that it spews an oily residue from the exhaust. It doesn't smoke and starts and runs well usually on the first pull. I use Stihl oil in my mix but have tried other oils and the result is the same. Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem is?

2. duke & sons

duke & sons LawnSite Member

Every 323L I have had did the same thing. I use amsoil in my 2 strokes. I would take the muffler off once a year and clean. The 326ls I have used never had this problem.

I have recently converted over to Kawasaki (kgt27a) trimmers. They are lighter than the Husky and are smoother (less vibration).

3. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

husqvarna oil. works for my huskys,+, run em full bore once in a while, does em good.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2-323L trimmers, Never noticed any problem... I use Opti-2 oil mixed at the label rate.

I think ALL 2 stroke engines throw oil out the muffler, just a normal byproduct of a gas/oil mix.

5. mowerman90

Did the amsoil cure the problem?

6. mowerman90

That's one oil I haven't tried because the Husky dealer isn't very close to me. I'll give some a try. I wonder if Lowes carries the stuff.

I do run mine wide open all the time.

7. duke & sons

duke & sons LawnSite Member

No. I have used amsoil from the beginning and had no problem with any other 2 stroke equipment.

The two 323ls I had, both oozed oil out the muffler even with the amsoil.

I mixed the amsoil at 85:1.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my 323 ozes oil too-no matter what oil i use

9. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Lowes does not carry Amsoil. It is sold thru a dealer network. I can help you if needed.
    Were you running your trimmer at wide open throttle. 2 cycles are made to run wide open to burn all the fuel mix, otherwise you may get some drippage out of your exhuast.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Oil out the exhaust in this manner (I believe) is partly a by-product of engine design.

I have the same dang problem with my non-Stratocharged Redmax hedge clippers.
    The exhaust is nasty, and it oozes oil, even though I use Amsoil.

My other units don't give me this trouble.
    If I find a solution I will share it because it will probably help a Husky trimmer too......