1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ok, a little help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bulls_mowing, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Bulls_mowing

Bulls_mowing LawnSite Member

i really need everyones help i have an employment agency thats called me to tell me that theres a retail traineeship at a hardware store and they called me to ask me whether i should put my resume forward but the thing is i really would prefer to do lawn mowing but i keep thinking getting a certificut in retail wouldnt be so bad and im kinda lost on what path i should choose because both paths have a pretty good future but anyways i was hoping that you people would be able to help me make a decision

You stay classy:confused:
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

but here in the US, retail doesnt pay very well. what are the benefits like, sometimes that makes a big difference too.....

guess it really boils down to your financial situation, and what are your goais...:)
  3. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

I worked retail for 6 1/2 years before starting up my business. The hour stink and the pay is even worse. But, I could never replace the knowledge I received while working. I ran my own store, and this helped with every part of owning your own business. Setting up the budget, hiring employees, time management, sales, and most importantly customer service. One thing to keep in mind retail isn't for everyone.
  4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in the same boat, kind of... thinking about doing my own thing in the lawn care biz, have a great paying job right now, but hate every day of it... in retail sales. It will be hard to give up the pay and the security, but when you come home every day with a headache, you wonder if it is really worth it.
  5. Bigtreeman

Bigtreeman LawnSite Member

My 2 cents, owning a buisness can be tougher then working 9-5......better love hard work and putting out fires. At home you are still on the clock....

Goals need to be established....one thing to think about is a time clock only allows for a certain profit or income.