1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ok, don't laugh!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fitzg2md, Mar 3, 2007.

1. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

I have run walk behinds for a while now. Just bought myself a used Lazer Z 60 inch. My problem is that I am not catching on to the turning! Now don’t get me wrong, I can control the thing well, but I am having trouble when trying to turn around 180 degrees and do my next stripe.

Haven’t used it on anyone’s yard yet as the grass is still not growing...just my own. It probably doesn’t help that the yard is a swamp from all the melting snow. I just want to get the hang of it so I don’t ruin my customer’s lawns!

So, how do you go about making that turn? I understand the idea is to not lock the tires when turning. Keep them moving...all makes sense in theory, but whenever I go to do it, my hands say "screw you!" and I’m left with a big rip in the turf. Any suggestions on how to make this turn? Should I be doing a 3-point turn? Thanks for the help, and sorry for the very newbie question! -Mike
  2. Premier_Lawn

Premier_Lawn LawnSite Member

Sorry that i cant help you with the problem at hand i myself have ran WB for sometime and was thinking about getting a 60inch rider....was just curious how you like your 60 inch Lazer and exmarks in general. Again sorry that i cant help you with your situation.
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

You make a small, quick 3 point turn. Say you're turning left, 1. push both handles forward, with the right side more forward than the left. 2. Then just reverse levers, pull both back with the left coming back more than the right. Then step one again, straighten out and see ya'. Off to make another stripe.
    Thats how I do it, it takes a little time and practice, but doesnt tear anything up, and I can go as fast as anyone out there, and do just as nice of a job.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I made a little drawing. Now this is almost like a full on 3 point turn, but not quite because the outside wheel never stops moving. In a full on 3 point turn, both wheels engage into reverse at some point, then they both return to forward motion. True, fast zero turns just the inside wheel does the 3 point.

5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Its just going to take some time to get used to, practice as much as you can and you will get better at doing it.
  6. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

One post similar to this had a great comment saying that a true zero turn would put you right back in the same track you just finished except in the opposite direction. As a true zero turn is 180 degrees. So what I do is (at the very end of ech pass) I put a 45 degree turn in the direction of my next pass for about 1/2 the width of your mower deck or about 3 feet. Then when I do a zero turn I am in the 'lane' for the next striping run.
  7. ScagBoy09

ScagBoy09 LawnSite Member

Try the Y-turn technique, productive, yet it doesnt tear up the turf. A lot of it comes with practice like anything.

8. say'n somthin

say'n somthin LawnSite Member

I slow down when I am about to turn and pull back on one stick and push forward on the other slowly. Of course when the lawns are wet you have to be extra careful no matter how you turn.
  9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

wet conditions tend to really aggravate the matter. the ground is just that much looser. retraining myself currently as well.
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Like others have said, do the three point turn.

This past summer, another LS member on here needed some help so i went and mowed on his lawn crew for about two weeks. First morning i showed up, he told me ide be running the Z, which i have never done before. All i was told was how to run it. Thankfully, i remembered that three point turn trick/technique from on here and on the first lawn, after giving myself two header rows just in case, used it and found that it worked very well. Later that same day, i found myself doing actual zero turns without tearing turf. I just built off of the three point turn and made it as fast as possible. That is, IMO, the best way to start off.