OK FARM BOYS and Mower Reps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CraigPLC, Oct 6, 2012.

1. CraigPLC

CraigPLC LawnSite Member

Everybody knows a Reel Mower not only leaves the best appearance, but is also a lot healthier for the grass. So why hasn't anyone taken combine technology and minaturized it on a platform like a Walker, Grasshopper, etc. Makes so much sense, cause they could be made in 36" 48" 54" 60" 72" and hell even 84"?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Look into golf coarse equiptment all kinds of reel mowers. I dont think they will stand up to the abuse we put on our machines. A putting green doesnt have rock sticks or tree roots to hit, and all the debris is blown off before they are mowed, even then they dont cut much off.

3. CraigPLC

CraigPLC LawnSite Member

That's why I said combine technology, like a conbine harvester....
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

For one thing, the cost to sharpen the blades would be prohibitive to have done, and doing it by yourself would require special skills that many don't have, not to mention the time involved. Another would be reel replacement costs.

If you actually look at how a combine works, it is totally different than what you are asking here. The combine uses a sickle bar cutter the length of its platform/header (wheat and bean header), and then the reel basket "combs" the crop matt into the feeder housing to be processed. The corn head is so different that it isn't even close to what you are asking.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Your talking about a cycle mower.

As a former farmboy, I can say that it probably wouldn't work that well in the general lawn mowing industry.

Basically too many obstacles and probably break a lot of cycle teeth in the process.

That's why most brush mowers on farms are a rotary type. The only time you see a mower with a cycle style is hay conditioners, and occasionally a cycle mower for general work.

Another thought is that you would really need to speed the cycle bar up to keep up production when mowing, and it would generate a lot of heat.

BCS makes a cycle bar for there walk behind tractors, I'd like to try one out for giggles, but don't have a lot of brush work in general so it wouldn't be a good purchase.

[​IMG]

6. White Gardens

Another thought also is that a blade of grass is pretty thin and a cycle style wouldn't cut the grass cleanly.

7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Go check out some of the prices on gang reel mowers, then report back to us.
    You might want to sit down first.

Just the blades run over a thousand.
    Once you get into 5 gangs you're over two grand.
    Eight or nine gangs will run you four thousand.

Now you need a lawn mower.

None of the manufacturers will list MSRP on those types of machines.
    Let me give out a clue here: Anytime they don't list a price the rule of "If you have to ask you can't afford it" applies.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  8. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

White gardens its sickle, not cycle, like bicycling.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Sickle bars also don't cut clippings up, just lay them down. Most people don't know how a reel mower works, let alone how to adjust them, sharpen the bed knife, etc. Lastly, from personal experience reel mowers won't cut taller grass or weeds well at all. You'd have to mow multiple times per week at low heights for it to work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. White Gardens

Oooops, :hammerhead:.

Not sure where my head was at on that one.