OK FARM BOYS and Mower Reps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CraigPLC, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Exactly right.

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

I'm sure its because its late
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Now why you going and calling him a corn head because he wants to use a combine to mow his grass? :laugh: Maybe he can convince Bad Boy to make one. :laugh:

4. CraigPLC

CraigPLC LawnSite Member

Actually I was thinking a conbine was a single reel and a sickle combined. I love a reel cut, I like the idea of the reel being out in front. I hate the triplex, or gang. I understand it, but I would rather have just one 36" or 48" reel. I understand they do this because of the expense to make one big reel, and the bigger the harder it would be to adjust the cutting bar so the cut is even across the reel. Sharpening a reel is not hard, you just back reel with compound.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I would think a 48" reel would scalp alot

6. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

sickle stripes?

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

In a previous post it was explained on a bean/wheat head for a combine. All the reel does is feed the plant material into the machine. A pull behind hay conditioner/mower is the same concept.

A corn head is a different animal. It grabs the stalk and pulls it down and there are plates that strip the ear off the stalk, then there are feeder chains in each row that pull the ear into the head. The feeder chain also doubles as a way to help pull the corn stalk into the head.

8. White Gardens

Funny you say that as if you look at a bean or wheat field after a cut and you'll see stripes. I think it's more due to the head pushing over the cut stalks after the cut though.

9. White Gardens

Also, in regards to big sickles.

Newer/larger bean/wheat heads have a flex design that allows the bar and platform to flex and move over the terrain.

10. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Don't forget on corn heads they have chopping knives now under each row. It kinda bush hogs the grass. The knives are similar to the meg mo
    Posted via Mobile Device