Ok fess up, who owns way more equipment than they need?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I am the first to admit it.

I am a solo operation and have 3 36" mowers, a 48" and 60"ZTR.
    I have 2 trailers, and a ton of hand tools that will rust away before I use them.

I try and justify it by saying I am ready for my expansion.

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

How did you get three 36". What made you think you needed 3?

3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

you can never have enough,i have more equipment then i know what to do with but never have a problem if something breaks down.i always have something to back it up...

4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a scuba diver. There is a rule that "3 is 2, 2 is 1, and 1 is none." in diving. Basically, if you don't have backups out the wazoo, you can be permanently screwed! I take the same view with my mowing business. I have more mowers (and trimmers & blowers) then I need on a daily basis. BUT if something breaks, I have a backup to keep running until it is repaired or replaced! And in a business like ours, where TIME IS MONEY, it is worth the insurance policy IMHO.

Mike

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

My wife does most of the cutting by herself I only help out once in awhile. We have Walker 48" GHS, Walker 42'GHS, Mtd Pro Z 54", John Deere 935 60", Steiner 4x4 72", Ransomes 4x4 72", Bobcat 61" ZTR, Toro 44" WBH a Ford 1520 compact tractor and 6' bushhog deck plus 4 other mowers that we don't cut with. I tell her that she just uses whatever colour she wants to wear that day to cut. She uses different mowers for different types of lawns and schedules her day depending on the type of mower needed. I keep the Steiner at home for me to use on bigger properties when she lets me.

6. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

You can never have too much equipment, aint no such thing!
    Hey cantoo, does your wife have a sister? :p Just kiddin, happily married here, just wish my wife did my mowing :mad:

7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't have said it better myself....

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I got me 1 little wonder truck leaf loader too many. It's mostly new, works great, and it's up for sale!!!!

Other than that, I've got 2 big wbs, a smaller wb, two push mowers, two trimmers, two blowers. Most of that is equipment I aquired with my former partner. But it's good to have back ups even as a solo operator.

:D

9. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Is that even possible???

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Is what even possible?