1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

OK guys, give me every formula you have ever seen =).

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by syzer, Mar 21, 2001.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to type something up, like a quick reference .doc or something like that.

I would like formulas for mulch, flower planting, % or fert applied, amount of grass seed, etc.

Absolutely everything you guys can think of. I would like to have this ready to go so I can just use as a quick reference since we are relatively new to the business and this would help I know at least me out.

2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

That's not a very good idea Syzer.

What if you get one other response with a whole page of flawed formulas. Will every member thirsty for knowledge implement pricing formulas that dont properly account for their costs?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, I'm just wondering if this is the right way to do it...for the long term success of your business.

3. syzer

Well that would be a logical concern but given the number of ppl on this forum most very experienced I'm sure someone would correct any mistakes that were made by less experienced ppl.

I have some formulas that were posted on here before that were beneficial to me in many ways. I would like to see what else is out there.
  4. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Syzer, Turf is right.

It sounds like you are trying to get the text book answer for doing estimates and you can't do that. You can't put landscaping in a box. There are too many factors that come into consideration. The area of work, the income of the customers, the cost of goods. There are too many variables.

A lot of guys may try and shoot a lot of formulas at you but, believe me if they have a solo operation or they are running one to three crews and they do all the estimates, they don't use a formula.

Don't get me wrong you have to figure out how much you have in the job,(cost of goods) the time involved (man hours). Then you figure how much do you want to make off the job. (in relation to the customer actually paying) Everybody has a minimum price.

That's why a lot of guys tell the customer when they get a call for an estimate over phone, they always say I have to see the job inorder to price it.

Too many variables.
  5. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

i use some of the formulas as a starter but end up dropin the price to keep the work out of the scrubs. i had a guy this week bid one of my mulch jobs, 35.5 yds he bid at $300.00!!! he has to be stealing the mulch! but i still got the account( customer didnt trust him!)
  6. syzer

No, maybe you guys misunderstood me when I say formulas i mean general generic formulas. Like if you have:

1000sqft or garden and you want a 3" layer of mulch you need 9.26 yards of mulch for a 3" layer.

Or if you want flowers @ 8" o.c. and you have a 250sqft garden you need 520 flowers for a 20% set back from the edge with 8" space.

These are formulas that help you with bidding a job from actual true #'s that cannot mess you up.

I <b><i>DONT</b></i> want "If you have a 14msf lawn charge $35.00 with one tree and if you have 2 trees charge 35.50" That is not what I am looking for.

I hope this clears this up a I am in no way asking for the information I think the ppl who read the original thread are thinking.
  7. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Formulas only work well when you are doing Government contract work. They want everything broken down by line item. They base it on the "Means Book for Contractors" They have every formula you ever want or have.

When you do residential bidding or commercial bidding things are different.

Example. If customers want flowers you charge by the flat. plus mark up and labor. if customers want seeding charge by the bag plus mark up and labor and so on.

It's best to keep it simple.

Best advice. you have to come up with your own formula
    No company is ever going to tell you exactly what you want. To do so; is like KFC giving away the Eleven Herbs and Spices "FORMULA".

Hope this can shed some light on your situation.
  8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search on mulch or mulch pricing. Many formulas there. Don't make the mistake I use to and search the entire msg. Only search the Topic. There is also a web site or two which have formulas for calculating areas, but I don't have the addresses handy. Use a wheel and measure everything - even just mowing, because it's useful for trying to sell additional services! :) The formulas are only a basis for estimates, but they should help give confidence in your bids.
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a sure one. E = mc2