OK guys, I need a little help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by wescane, Feb 28, 2006.

1. wescane

wescane LawnSite Member

A woman called me about doing her trailor park which has 535 lots. The work does not bother me its the bid that does. All she wants is cutting grass and weedeating where the mower cant get. I guess what Im asking is maybe some advice on a bid.
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

What are the lot sizes? Will you be able to use a big mower on those lots? Bottom line, figure out how many lots you can do an hour, and how long it will take you to do all of them based on that. The advantage here is that doing a big job like this eliminates driving time, which is wasted time.
  3. wescane

wescane LawnSite Member

Well she told me that it takes her guy three days to complete. The mower size is no issue here, I just want to be fair to her and myself.
  4. wescane

wescane LawnSite Member

Can you not price per lot? or would you need to price by the hour? Your talking about a huge piece of property and about 20 or so hours with two people.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Wescane, let me give you a few things to consider. First, you are going to be dealing with not just one person, but over 500. You will have cars parked in the way, toys, toys, and more toys, water hoses, wire, sockets, wrenches you will be running over, you can NOT weedeat close to underskirting without busting it and even when you dont bust it there will be at least one or two asses that will say you did. Also will have some folks who will ask "can you come later no matter when you go because they are sleeping and work different shifts. This is what I have dealt with anyway. I have seen trailor parks go from anywhere from 5 bucks a lot to 20 a lot here, quite a big difference! I personally try to figure by the lot and Im not sure what size lots yours are. Even is you were to go 5 bucks a lot that is over 2600 and 10 bucks a lot would be over 5500! Do they want them cut every week or every other week? Here is was every 2 weeks(bahai grass:nono: ) and the one I did was not near as big as yours and I done them for 15 bucks and that was one account I hated because of all the junk I had to move, it just wasnt worth it. The tennants were supposed to have everything moved for me but you know how well that went and I had to wake up several to ask them to move their cars for me. I wished I could give you an exact quote but I dont know what your area market will bear. If it takes 2 guys 20 hours that is 40 man hours x 60 an hour which would come to 2400 per cut, tough call to make. You might could do it for half since driving time is out but dont sell yourself short. Only you know what you have to have per hour for a profit. BTW, I lost this one to a lowballer that did it for 7 per lot with his craftsman.
  6. wescane

wescane LawnSite Member

I quoted a price of 6.50 per lot. That would be two cuts per month. It comes to 7000.00 a month which seems out ragous to me. But remember 535 lots. What do yall think?
  7. SPLC

SPLC LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

That's hella mowing, I'd roll with it - as long as you have covered your costs. Remember that the park is making major $$$ as well. Sell your service, not your price. Have a contract signed by everyone. If you lose the job, so what? If a lowballer will cut it for less, (535 lots is a lot of mowing and heacaches!), let him have it. There's nothing worse than being locked into a contract and making little or worse off (no) money.
  8. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

if it really only takes 40 hours per cut then your hourly rate is 86.94/hour - looks good to me, but like qualitylawncare4u said, could be a pita
  9. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like good money but it will be a pita. When I was working for someone he put me in charge of two sister trailer parks. one had about 350 homes and the other about 600. That was a full week of work for myself and 3 others with two 60" going and two trimming/edging/blowing. This was a retirement place where everyone was 55+ so it was a pain. I told the boss several times that if I didnt get on a landscaping crew or another mowing crew I was gone. What I am saying is that it was a pain, granted I was only 18 and the foreman of the crew, it drove me to quit. I couldnt deal with watching everyone and handling the multiple multiple complaints everyday. I spent more time dealing with people/sprinkler heads/etc than on the mower it seemed like. My point to all this blabbing, make sure you give yourself enough bs cushion in your estimate.
  10. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

Dont sell yourself short here, I think that it can be a very good opportunity, but remember with that many lots I am assuming that they will be smaller and less areas that you can get the mowers in, so more trimming. Also I would think that you would have more stuff in the way...cars hoses, junk, etc. All it takes is a rock or something to hit a car and break a window and that takes away from your profit. I understand that could happen anywhere, my point being that the chances are greater if everything is in closer proximity. Remember just to think everything through before you do anything...sell your work not just your price. Good Luck with it.