OK, here is the Situation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassman50, Oct 16, 2001.

1. grassman50

grassman50 Banned

I have this one client you lives in this very very nice home and has a very nice landscaping job, probably bout 40-50 thousand dollar landscape. There really isnt that much grass there, just patch everwhere. The problem is, I bid the job in the spring at $25.00 (bad mistake), cause i didnt see much lawn there, but when i found out how much stuff you have to go around and the amount of trimming and blowing you have to do, its crazy. It probably takes a good 30 minutes with two push mowers, trim it, and blow grass clippings. I would use a my ZTR but it just throws the clipping everywhere, causing alotmore blowing.What do you think i should raise the price to next year? I am getting thirty for it know because about mid summer i said that i have to raise the price cause i spend to much time on your lawn for $25.00. And dont think i raised my price enough. I honestly think that $40.00 per cut is what i should be getting for it. What do you guys think?? But i dont want to take advantage of her to bad, but i need to get what i need to stay in biz! thanks guys.:eek:

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

a lawn that takes 30 minutes to blow with two pushmowers would probably take 13 with a ztr, with a blower inless there is a major difference in amount of clippings a few extra wont matter much.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you should figure how much $ you must make per hour to make a profitable income ....figure the time you are there for all the work necessary to make the customer happy .....n charge that rate ......if its $30, 40 or whatever a visit ..... do the work at the level she wants .....n she'll pay ;->

4. You just don't have the right mower for that situation.

I have a Toro WB (11hp Briggs) with a 48" recycler deck that has a downdraft discharge that I can use with a stand on sulky.

The deck is offset equally about 8" on BOTH sides for ease in trimming.

This machine is by no means a front line production unit that would be used in wide-open spaces but is perfect for the situation you describe.

5. casey

casey Guest

Did Toro actually put an 11hp Briggs on a 48 Recycler deck. Couldn't mulch or discharge any kind of thick turf or leaves with that set-up.

6. Just be aware that if you do go from $30 per cut to $40 per cut that you are raising the price by 33.33% So that may create some problems for you. Especially seeing as how you started at $25 per cut.

7. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty simple....

1) Don't raise your price, make no profit.

2) Raise your price, make a profit or lose client and you move on to a new profitable client.

There is nothing wrong with being dropped by a client when you've raised your rate in order for you to make a profit (unless you don't mind working for nothing). There is just too much work out there!

8. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Don't comprimise your cost to the customer. They don't know what you need to make to make a living, trust me, I've been paid way to little for work that I should of been paid 3 times as much for....live and learn. I've told almost all of my customer's I have to bump the prices up a little, and they have no problem paying the extra. They all said I do great work and do the work when I say I will. That's what all of them want, quality and realiability. It makes me feel good when I'm only 15 and they brag on me, saying I am 10 times better than the big huge company that they had before me...I never feel threatened that I'll lose those accounts.....well, I've gotten way off topic, so I guess I'll shut up.

Hank