1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

OK...Honest advice from y'all...cutting speed for 12 acres...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazycritterguy, Jul 27, 2004.

1. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

I've posted ZTR questions before, and I've gotten some good advice...now to the meat of the matter...I just bought a 12 acre mini farm....most of it gentle slope...all of it needs mowed 1/week. There is also some light duty, OCCASIONAL "farm" stuff like grading the gravel driveway. I 've pretty much decided on a scag turf tiger 27 koh, 60" cut......but the possibility is also there for a JD compact utility tractor (2210) with a 60" finish mower. If I bought the JD, I could also get a box blade and other attachments to do the occasional "farm" stuff....If I go with the scag, as I understand it, I'll spend MUCH less time mowing the 12 acres...BUT HOW MUCH LESS?? How long would it honestly take to mow 12 acres of grass with the scag vs. the JD? And while I'm thinking about it...what height of grass would you feel comfortable mowing with a scag turf tiger...or other comparable ZTR? I wish I could buy both the scag & JD, but you know the story...$$$$...Thanks in advance!
  2. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Tractor vs tiger ? The turf tiger will cut mowing time in 1/2 give or take a little. but the jd tractor is more useable on a farm? Depends on what you are going to do most??
    Grass hight 3 0r 4 inch is good:D
  3. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I know the Turf Tiger is probably rated at 4-5 acres/hr. @ 80%. It's been my experience with my 60" Lazer that I can never do that in the real world. Maybe if I had golf course fairways or football fields. For a pasture, I'd guess at more like 2 to 2-1/2 acres/hr. I mow large areas @3-31/2". But if you're doing it weekly, you can mow lower. Everything depends on things like trees, limbs, pine cones, rocks, ruts, etc.

Personally I'd go with the tractor, since I also have a 12 acre mini-farm. I need one at least once a month.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You can buy the mower and have a mower or you can buy the tractor and have a mower and a whole lot more. mower will run faster, how much I do not know(just looked in the 2210 brochure and it does not say). but if it does not need to be a real finish lawn use the 62" mid mount and get an offset 48 to hang out back and I think you will be close. Or just a 72" 3 point off the back will come close to the Tiger
  5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a lot of home mowing....if you can only have one machine on a mini farm, go the tractor! No doubt, the versatility of a small tractor on a mini farm or any farm will far be more beneficial than a single ZTR mower. imo.

The Z would only shine for you if speed was a very important factor e.g contracting, and if you have lots of turns e.g trees etc, ZTR's shine because of turn speed mainly, in your case you need dual purpase so the tractor is my choice.

Don't forget to check Kubota's too.
  6. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

A tractor operating in the open will mow at a comperable speed to the ZTR. But when working around obsticles the ZTR will shine by being quicker and being able to cut closer reducing trim time. And with the ability to use 3pt. hitch attachments,,,,,,,,,,,I'd go with the tractor for home use.
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I mow 10 to 12 acres a week some of it I may have to mow twice depending on the weather. I have a Hustler Super Z 60" deck with a 27 hp engine that I use to mow 98% of the time. I also have a 38 hp John Deere tractor with a Befco 8' finishing mower behind. The Hustler will cut over twice as much grass but if I could only have one it would have to be the tractor because of the number of different uses I have for it on my farm.
  8. pea

pea LawnSite Member

My answer is a fence and some cattle.

9. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 11 acre commericial resturant and resort property that I mow and trim with my Dixie Chopper 60 in, 27 HP in 2 hrs. 45 minutes...I am going to buy a flex deck soon to have the extra 18", which should take my time down to 2 hrs, 20 minutes
  10. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I do not believe you :confused: