ok, how do you not turf up a lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Jul 7, 2008.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i have accounts i have for a long time and whe3re i make my turns outlining i have bald spots. how do i stop this and get grass to grow there again?

2. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

slow down and do 3 point turns and also change patterns and you will change where u turn at.

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

lift the deck as you turn

4. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

what does lifting the deck do except put more weight on the rear tires? thats new to me , not saying it does not work just never heard that. I am assuming the drive tires are digging up the grass not the front correct?

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

he didnt specify whether it was a z or w/b. on a z raising the deck help eliminate a lower cut than desired. if you look at the front casters most slope toward the back of the machine, meaning when you turn the deck is now cutting lower than desired. i guess the poster ought to specify what his actual problem is. what you said is right on, but just wanted to give my .02 in case the problem was caused by the deck.

6. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

yes its the rear tires.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers on how not to tear up the turf, but as far as the bald spots go... I always carry a spare 50 pound bag of seed in the truck, anytime I get a spot like that I throw down a few hands full of seed and I mean drop down some HEAVY seed in that there bare spot and within a month or so it's all patched up. :p

That 50 pound bag of seed is rarely ever full, it's either left over from a job I did or if I absolutely run out I'll go buy one, but as a rule one 50 lb'er used for this purpose lasts me a year, then I use that seed most anytime there's a bare spot.

8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I change my mowing patterns.... so I am not turning on the same spots every week. Yes, it's a pain in the arse.... but the benefits outweigh the extra time and effort for me. No ruts, no bald spots, and better for the turf. In fact, using these alternate cutting patterns is one of my selling points.

Not sayin this can work for everyone, as my customer base has small properties and tend to be very picky.... and the biggest machine I use is a 32 WB. (small gates).

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Our Scag Cub leaves those on small properties.....so in some cases I back up instead of turning and make another swath forward.