Ok how many of you cut in the rain?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by NarNar, Jul 19, 2010.

1. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i only mow in the rain if i already started the lawn and its almost done/not raining toohard

2. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I would NEVER cut in the rain for the sole reason that it looks terribly unprofessional.

Not the mention the clumps, abuse to equipment, grass getting stuck under deck, and I just would not want to get wet.

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

If you cut right, you won't get clumps.

4. TennisBum

TennisBum LawnSite Member

What's rain?

5. lawnlandscape

from Midwest

Very bold comment for a 22 year old with a part time lawn service that consists of an old unmarked truck, and no ZTR. :rolleyes:

My friend, there will always be times of year (if your cutting on a weekly basis), that you get some clumps. Either because the lawn is growing to fast at some times of the year, or because of the mowing conditions.

Unless your going to double or triple mow some spots, some level of clump-age is acceptable.

Getting back to the subject of this thread: If you mow in the rain you will get 3X the clumps that you would have otherwise. Fact. Thumbs Up

6. NarNar

NarNar LawnSite Senior Member

Heavy precipitation in the atmosphere pulled by down to earth by gravity. :)

Or as one of my friends put it, "Man, Gods pissing on us again today, someone must of pissed 'em off".

7. NarNar

NarNar LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, these are wise words.

8. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

I think damp grass stripes better.

9. lawnlandscape

from Midwest

I would agree with that.

10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Fair enough, but if it's wet or extra tall and I'm blowing clumps, I put a bag on. Then, magically, no clumps. Or I'll double cut and on the second cut, I'll put a bag on.

I urge you to talk to my customers, follow me around for a day, and notice the level of care I give to my clients.

I'm not perfect and my lack of experience prevents me from giving my customers the BEST service, but I try my hardest to provide them with the best I can do.

Better yet, let me on one of your lawn crews for a day or a week and then you can criticize me. :waving: