1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ok how many of you cut in the rain?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by NarNar, Jul 19, 2010.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Bold indeed, wanna step onto one of my thick bermuda lawns with a mower in the early morning after a rain and tell me that?
  2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

And by cutting right I mean putting a catcher on, or the bagging system on a Z. *trucewhiteflag*
  3. NarNar

NarNar LawnSite Senior Member

Nice pictures:usflag:
  4. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm not really criticizing you. Just ... correcting you.

My company runs all Grasshoppper ztr mowers. So its not really just 'putting on a bag', because the bags need to be put on, the blower moter, and the tube. It takes about 30 min to install onto the mower and about 30 more min to remove.

I also never said anything about your lack of care. I'm sure you are very good with your customers. But I am 99.9% sure you will not get me talking with your customers, or following you around for a day. lol
  5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry if I sounded defensive before, but I get antsy when I think somebody has underestimated me based on my age and experience or lack thereof.

Sorry I assumed you had a setup that's conducive to bagging. I shouldn't have just assumed that. :waving:

Rain for me means more work because it SUCKS bagging with a walk behind, but I still don't leave clumps. :)
  6. phlipsyde74

phlipsyde74 LawnSite Member

I don't mow in the rain. I am fortunate to have an 16ft enclosed trailer for my equipment. In Louisiana sometimes it rains for 5 minutes and sometimes for 5 days. If it starts to drizzle I just pull into the trailer and "wait" it out. If it rains too long, I go home. This week has been "old testament" rains, so no cutting. Luckily I have been in a HAZWOPER certification class so I can help with the Gulf clean up.
  7. lawnlandscape

from Midwest

I envy enclosed trailers for that very reason.
  8. Northeast Mower

Northeast Mower LawnSite Member

Mowing in the rain isn't a huge deal, once you get the hang of it you learn some tricks....

I worked for this one company for four seasons, being in the northeast we usually got heavy rains in the spring and had to cut inthe rain in order to keep up with the accounts.

If you feel your deck starting to clump, take your mower over to the edge of the property, near the woods or by your trailer, and tap your deck out a few times... if you have the time give it a quick scrape.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
  9. lawnlandscape

from Midwest

Ya, pick up your ztr and tap it out. Nice...
  10. Cajun Cleanin'

Cajun Cleanin' LawnSite Member

Ok..........Thats a little awkward.