1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ok How Much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KINGMADE, May 6, 2011.

1. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants mulch put around 8 small trees and about 24 sq. feet of sod installed with minimal prep. It is a good paying account but I still would like to make some money. I currently mow the lawn for 260 a month. Would you do it at cost to make them happy or charge a decent amount and get what you can. The 260 a month is a steal as it is. If you would charge what would you charge not including material cost? It is not a trip out of the way as we will be mowing it tomorrow anyway.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There you have it in a nutshell, the whole problem with discount accounts.

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

So you're having problems making money? You need to charge what the job is worth. I'm in it to make a living, not do favors all day.

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Charge what its worth and do it while you're already there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Small trees? Go 60-80 a tree. There is never any "Light" prep work. There will always be some issue you will have to contend with.

6. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

lol yeah if I were installing the tree. We are just putting mulch around small charlie brown christmas trees. used about 8 cubic feet of mulch. Charged her 40. Took us a couple minutes to do. The sod will wait for another day as my supplier was out getting a new supply and I didnt have time to wait around. Ended up being 96 sq feet anyway. She just wants it laid on top with no prep. So you get what you pay for.