Ok how to grow 400% (It can be done)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Willofalltrades, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to go from 10 weekly maintenance customers to 40. What would be the best method. I thought doing a paper insert would work, but how many times? Fliers, I tried passing them out but I don't have the time to distribute enough, should I higher a company to pass them out? If so how do I get a hold of them? What about direct mailing? How do I go about setting that up with the post office and printers? I am studying marketing and I have a media kit from the news paper (Plain Dealer). All I need is a general direction so that I may investigate it more closely.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man, and I thought you were going to tell us how to do it. :laugh:

I don't know the magic formula, thou I meet customers every day who think I do.
    Some are absolutely convinced I know some magic trick, but I really don't.

Last I checked, nobody here ever got rich overnight.
    Thou many tried to do it in a year's time or less by taking shortcuts, most of them failed from what I gather.
    The few who made it likely did so in a time frame of 5-10 years or so, maybe, dunno.

I would recommend slowing down just a tee bit, but that's just me.
    Just keep doing what you're talking about, don't overextend yourself and let the rest happen on its own.

p.s.: Actually, I do know a few secrets :)
    But if I tell you, it's not a secret anymore :laugh:
  3. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Doorhangers have always worked best for me...you need to try a few marketing ideas...ask people that do call how they heard of you...and then sink the majority of the marketing budget into the one that worked best.
  4. grant087

grant087 LawnSite Member

i grew roughly 600 percent in the last year went from 7 acc to 55 acc and would like to atleast grow the same amount if not more....it can be done but a lot more work was involved than i though
  5. Picture Perfect Landscape

Picture Perfect Landscape LawnSite Member

600% or an extra 48 customers.

Cause 600% is 330 customers. lol, that might be a lil difficult for one years time.
  6. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I am not necessarily going for some percentage but here is what I am doing.

1. Sending newsletter to current customers with a little history, a little of new services added, and a quality referral section where they can list there name, number, and a few people that might need my services. If they get me a permenant customer, I will give them a free mowing.

2. I mowed one apartment complex for a property manager last summer. This Nov, I was asked to bid on 3 more big ones, worth a lot of money. I got 2 of them that I know of.

3. I just contacted another property manager in the area for snow removal, wow, he has 26 properties, with half of them permenant (ongoing) and the others are for sale properties. At least half a dozen of them are large apartment complexes.

4. This past week I spent time calling and visiting other apartment complexes. Depending on what happens with the one management firm, I will most likely bid on 3 of the other apartment places that I contacted.

5. For residential only I am planning on door hangers in specific developed areas. Areas with lawns that can be cut in 30 minutes or less, for $35.00-$40.00. Get as many as I can in a close proximity and crank all day long with a crew there. Do this on a couple of routes a day and you will do good.

6. I am planning on an add in the local trade paper for $80.00 a month offering services.

That is not magic but it is what I am working on right now, and I am getting action already.

7. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't do the PD thing I spent 6k on one months worth of advertising and got a return of a couple hundred.

I don't think growing by 30 accounts is that hard. Your idea's I think are bigger then what you need. I would just narrow down your attention to the neighbor hoods where you already have accounts and just saturate them with direct advertising. Since they will be more profitable then gaining accounts that just stretch your routes.
  8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

You got us. who knows how to gain 30 lawns in one year? I dont think it can be done. Bro I was hoping you were telling us not asking us. I'd love to go from 50 to 200. Share the knowledge
  9. grant087

grant087 LawnSite Member

the main things i did were not to low ball, and the number one thing was to do a good job these two things helped me to grow the fastest beause of referals and picky customers have picky friends and the average lco cant do the job that I can and by taking the extra time to do it right and still charging more to do it so it makes up for your time, keep in mind i went from 7 lawns to 55 not 55 to 300 but still it was a big growth and i would like to do the same thing again, but i'm gonna have to try more tactics to get to that point also keep in mind most of my stuff is residential
  10. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

this pertains to Lawn Spraying and not mowing, but we picked up 87 accounts in one area that we went into. Wanted to market and move into that area. Hired a route man to sell, spray and take care of that area. He hung door hangers almost every day in the spring, every day or two we would get calls for estimates. He goes back that afternoon or the next day and gives estimate, if accepted sprays it. Works great for us. We plan to use that method in all the areas we work in next year.

10 accounts to 40 shouldn't be hard. Just start knocking on doors and asking for the business. When we were mowing years ago my problem wasn't getting another 30 customers, it was getting too many that we couldn't service them.