1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ok i need help on Fescue grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jose85, Oct 6, 2007.

1. jose85

jose85 LawnSite Member

ok it has alot of weeds the weather here is about 85-80 durning the day and night is about 60-70 ....just wanted to know whats the best thing to kill crab grass.. or goose grass...here in okc..we are going to overseed the fescue cut to about 2 in's tall and then overseed ..should i kill the regular weeds with triplet and no barricade and then overseed it...and what about crabgrass if i spray with triplet what could i use to kill crabgrass....with it...this is about 50 000 sq feet
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

The frost will kill crabgrass so I wouldn't worry about it. If you are going to overseed you will not want to spray for broadleaves as you have to wait 2 weeks before seeding after a chem app.

If you have way to many broadleaves you could spray now and seed in the fall.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure in your state. Here we would spray with Triplet. Then wait until temp hits about 45 at night--crabgrass really slows down after that. Then cut short. Power rake, if lawn is not too big. Sow seed. Rake again to mix seed plus starter fertilizer with soil. Water every day for 30 days. Fertilize again at 3 weeks and 6 weeks. Crabgrass will fade and die at frost. Tall fescue will grow for about 6 more weeks--as long as daytime temps stay above 45.

I suggest crabgrass control at the maximum rate next spring. Apply in April--again at maximum strength in June.

In warm climates--apply crabgrass control when daytime highs hit 80 degrees--again 8 weeks later.

Not sure, I think that corresponds to a Growing Degree Days of about 500--and then 8 weeks later.

Of course local LCOs may have different opinions--probably better.
  4. jose85

jose85 LawnSite Member

well i havent seen the yard...but from my understanding they want alot of crabgrass gone before it dies so they wont have mess with next year as much...and they have alot of broadleave....our temps here are little higher then what they are suppose to be...
  5. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

Usually most herbicide reseed rates are recommended at 4 weeks after last treatment on most broadleaf controls and I believe you can use Drive and then overseed the next day if you want to take control of an over abudance of crabgrass. I missed my fall aeration here in Charlotte because of the exceptional drought, down over one foot now in the old rain bucket. I can not remember what glyphosate is, but, I do believe it is a week to two. All I know is that I have huge areas of death where I killed all the bermuda in late August. I am glad though now because I do not have to worry about it next summer taking over and the drought kinda covered my tracks for a little bit.
  6. One of my pet peeves.....I'm assuming the lawn is chewing fescue. Right? Or is it hard fescu? maybe creeping red fescue...GOT THE POINT
  7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Crabgrass is a annual grass, the plant doesnt go dormant in winter, it dies. Next years crabgrass is already planted from the seeds of the already present crabgrass plants. To reduce the crabgrass problem for next year, mow the lawn short and use a vaccum to suck up the residues. This will get rid of some of the seeds, but not all. Crabgrass seeds are about 2 million seeds per lb. Start chemical apps early next year.

Most of the broadleaf weeds will also be killed with winter temps. It should eventually turn cold, but I am beginning to have my dobuts. I wouldnt use any chemical now to control them, it will only slow germination of the fescue. You can treat the broadleaf weeds at the same time as you treat the crabgrass.

8. Good advice,. and no wonder we never have a problem with that annuel pest showing up each year.... 2 million seeds per lb...never seen that info
  9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

AND add to that the fact that crabgrass seeds can lie dormant in the soil for many years. Something like 25 if I recall.

Also, I've found that Drive is not very effective on mature crabgrass in our area. MSMA is, but I would not consider using that around seeding time. Just let the crabgrass die out.