OK keep me thinking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sbvfd592, Jul 28, 2003.

1. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm entering my Senior year of high school, Just filled out my application for stock-bridge will do the same for UCONN and 2 other schools with HORT. programs but i was just thinking about latter life when I'm 35 or 45 and have made out well in this biz. DO you think that if i get all the same truck like maybe lets say i have 6 crews have 6 ford f450 same engine and all then get all the same kind of mowers same trimmers same blowers and so on?? stock the same parts? maybe go with JOHN DEERE? all equipment is from them?? just pondering lets hear your incite to this.:blob4: :blob3: :blob1: :blob2: :D :cool:

2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Why worry about that now? Concentrate your concerns first on completing your education, then worry about starting a business. I would recommend staying in school long enough to at least get a Bachelor's Degree. Whatever your major is in, your degree will help you throughout all of your careers. And yes I do know this from experience. You will know when you are successful and then you can answer your own question. Good luck.

3. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Good questions sbvfd.

I like the fact that you are doing long range planning. I would have to question anyone who told you not to. I wonder about someone saying "complete your education" before starting your business, also. I've been in business almost 30 years and I'm still learning. Life would be boring, I think, if you "learned" it all by the age of 22.

As for college, I would suggest you find courses for an entrepreneur. Most courses in college train you to be a technician. As a business owner you would hire these people... technicians are fairly easy to come by but a true entrepreneur is rare.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i think ill just pass

5. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

I too want to have Hort. degrees and I want 5-10 3 man full time mowing crews 3-5 full time 3 man landscaping crews, and 1 irrigation installation and maintenance crews, and 2-3 chem app. crews, but I have alot of building to do be that size and I think that by having all of my crews be virtually identical to each others within the type of work i.e-identical mowing crews, identical landcapes crews etc. will save me money because every thing that i have to stock, blades belts filters etc. costs me money just to keep and I wont have to stock near as many TYPES of parts If I only have 1 type of Z to stock for, 1 type of w/b, 1 type of blower etc., so i will spend less time tracking down parts. Just my thoughts

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

have to have your dreams.

Answer to your equipment. YES

Look at UPS.....................

7. sbvfd592

Thanks keep up all the positive responses please!! dose anyone here have a lager scale lco that dose this or knows of any that do. :D DO you think John Deere whould hook me up if i talked with them??

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

HUH???????????:rolleyes:

9. Ngog_Nrythrng

Ngog_Nrythrng LawnSite Member

If you were to start with a cool million bucks and the goal was to equip a dozen crews, then sure, standardization is the way to go.

In most circumstances you will only have the $/work to outfit one or two. When you have more $/work you may find that other makes/models are more efficient or less expensive. Over time you would wind up with a patchwork, as forced standardization would be a false economy. If building your crews over a five year period it is always possible that the diesel F350 will always be the best choice, for example, but you should not limit yourself to repeating errors.

I have no direct experience with this in the world of LCO's, but I have in other forms of work over the last decade, in computer and telecom equipment. Some ----- VP always gets a kickback for a long term contract and you get stuck making @#$! work while he takes his mistress to the Caymans. :angry:

Head over to TrueGreen's equip storage and see how varied their stuff is.

10. sbvfd592

thanks guys come on anyone have all the same??