1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

OK LAWNSITE PRO's:riddle me this

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Jul 30, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Can anyone give me 5 or more reasons why its better to put the pvc together before putting it in the ground?

is it better to put it all together in 1 shot?

I'm in the dark....

for I am a pvc pup and a Poly pipe king..

Thanks in advance.
  2. If installing pipe in a curved trench, I glue out of the trench because it is hard getting pipe and fittings together correctly in a curve.

If installing in a straight line trench, I do either in or out depending on the length of the trench and how far until the next joint. I use scrap pieces of pipe across the trench to hold up the next glued pipe and fitting.

So 95% of the time I glue while pipe in the trench.
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Not an irrigation guy, but have some common sense about me. Wouldn't you end up w/ less dirt in the pipe?

I'm guessing this is about working w/ the bossman?
  4. CAPT Stream Rotar

Well coming from you I can draw thats what everyone else prob does...(meaning the right way)

in my case the trench did have a few curves in it..and some Giant roots that wouldn't come out...So for that type of application with the roots and curves would you clue inside still?
  5. CAPT Stream Rotar

6. You would think so but I get more dirt in the end of the pipe out of the trench than in because most of the dirt in now out of the trench since we have cleaned out the trench......I do the gluing above the trench not down in the trench..

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

I lay pipe outside of trench and drop it in as i go because i usually have more than 1 pc. in the trench pipe & fittings stay cleaner,less chance of wire nicks,that way i'm able to put heads in as i go w/o nozzle pack dirt around head and do like the RONCO ROTISEREE "SET IT AND FORGET IT" for i don't like walkin to the same spot 3 or 4 times.It works for me make every step count for time is my money.
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I glue in the trench, use a scrap piece of pipe to hold the ends out of the trench, but the pipe stays in the trench.

My motto is only walk to each place once for each task :)
  9. CAPT Stream Rotar

My boss makes me go back sometimes 3 or 4 times when doing sprinkler heads..

it gets old quick..Me personally would rater connect>burry head>tamp rake and never have to go to that spot again.

but thats how i work..not my boss.
  10. ditto...I use a scrap as a brace....lean the end of one pipe on the brace...

Primer...glue...quarter turn quarter turn! Letters up! Letters up!....then drop in the trench...

Of course with 2 inch and above....you have to have forearms of steel sometimes to do this.....;)