1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

OK lazer guys, which engine on my new lazer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenisgold, Apr 15, 2001.

1. greenisgold

greenisgold LawnSite Member

I'm replacing a JD 400 belly with a 60 inch lazer. Homeowner who cuts 15 acres a week plus some additional properties I may pick up. I plan to mulch from June to fall. Fescue grass with some rough areas on all properties. I was going with the 23hp kawasaki but my dealer isn't convinced about the new engines yet, he has seen too many problems. I'm now looking at the 25hp kohler ac or the new 27 hp kawa liquid cooled. A few 23hp kawa are still in the pipeline that I might be able to get my hands on. The liquid cooled is $500 more than the air cooled for 2 more hp. This is the last mower I plan to buy and want to get it right the first time. Thanks in advance for your ideas! Ben
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

what about looking at the kohlar 25hp eps engine. from what i have heard that is a great engine. just my 2 cents though
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

The 26 EFI motor is actually rated at 29 HP. Smooth running easy starting engine. I like it. :) Plus with that motor comes the better seat and foot lift for the deck.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 27 LC Kawi in the Lazer and love it! The LC's are probably your best bet for longevity. The rest of the Lazer is time proven and bullet proof. Do consider upgrading to the susp. seat, your back will thank you! Also opt for the foot deck lift. Good luck, as all Lazers are a good choice.

5. Daddio

Daddio LawnSite Member

I have 26hp EFI kohler on my 72inch lazer I really like it.
    approx.400hr no problems.
  6. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

26 hp EFI Kohler, nuff said
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 26 EFI, and it's a fanTASTic powerplant. Proven through and through, no glitches, no troubles, and nothing but good reputation behind them. You may get someone who will come up and say "what about this trouble", or "what about that" with the Kohler engines. The reason being, is that Kohler had a few glitches with their 25 hp motors over the last few years that had some people scrambling for service. They had a litle bit of ignition trouble, and a whole bunch of valve and head gasket trouble. Not so anymore. They have gotten all those glitches out, and are on a good track now. One thing you will hear if you are going to keep the mower will probably be "Go with the diesel." Well, the diesel, in MY opinion, probably isn't worth the extra money. Sure it will last the time, but when you DO need service, what's it going to cost? Another thing with the diesel package is while the Daihatsu is a reputable motor, it's relatively new to Exmark. These mowers have a "double mule belt" drive system that looks like it would be a nightmare to service. It may be better to see what the field test of time has to say about this concept. Let's give them some time to get the glitches out of this one. Another thing to consider, is the liquid cooled. One good thing about the liquid cooled, is that besides the fact that in 5 to 7 years EVERYTHING is going to be liquid cooled, the liquid cooled is going to have a greater resale value. Why? Because everything else out there is going to be liquid cooled. In 6 years, if you were going to buy a used machine, would you rather buy an older air cooled, or would you buy something that is liquid cooled like all the newer machines? The only downfall to this, is that the only liquid cooled units available from Exmark are the Kawi units. Just recently, we have learned not only from owners, but dealers as well, that Kawi is a hard one to get to stand behind their product. Sure there are a few variables, but we've heard some bad experiences and had testimony from dealers as well about the factory support. Kohler has done a MUCH better job. But that is only from the resale value of it. If you are going to keep it, again, you can't go wrong with the 26 EFI. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 23 kawi, and if some of you don't know, I've had several problems from kawis and the factory support sucks. Muffler problem kept the 23 in the shop for a week and when the new one came in it was wrong.

I've never had any problems from a kohler and I plan to switch back to them with the next buy. Both my 12.5 and 23 kawis have been unrealiable, but the 14 kawi has been perfect. Anyway, I would go with the kohler.
  9. greenisgold

greenisgold LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help guys! Any others out there? My only question would be if it's hard to justify the extra 1000 over the standard base unit.
  10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My favorite engine is the Yanmar, got 2 of them.

Kohler is my second choice, I've put lots of hours on Kohlers with hardly any problems.

Honda would be my third choice, might even be the second. :) The acceleration is unreal with that 24 HP. It blew me away.