OK... listen up!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

we got like 30,000 'quality' high priced lcos on here. a lot of my 'we prefer quality' customers are caring less about quality and more about price. i know its bush's fault, so they all say. thats beside the point.

lets say you and 384 other lcos in your town of 5000 people are 'quality' service providers, but all of a sudden, only 10 of the local residents are actually willing to pay $40+ a pop to mow anymore. how do you convince those 10 to choose you over the other 383 lcos promising that 'quality' BS? or do you switch to a 'quantity' service provider and start lowballing. maybe you jump into insurance sales or some other brainless job to supplement your income.

which is it? i got 2 bits here, so i better hear from 36 lawnboys......

2. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

drop your prices make your walk behind run 180 mph hour and do 150 lawns a day quantity not quality:dizzy:

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

If I did it over again I would go for quantity with customer service. Thats differnt that a quality service.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

You don't convince them. If there are that many LCO's there, then you start selling them equipment and make the payup .

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I'd go for the quantity market IF you could make money with it.

6. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I see it like this. Very few customers in the market care that the lawn guy takes an hour to cut their lawn becasue he is providing quality.....Quality involves more than just the way it looks. Quailty is providing a good, consisant, reliable, service which is price competive. Too many LCO'S are all trying to sell the same "quality" pitch. Again I tell the customer we will do x, y, z, if there soemthing about the lawn you dont like call us and within 24 hours it will be fixed or it's free. 100 satisfaction. Then they get the job they want or we hear about it. There is nothing wrong with a customer who calls you to correct something you dont need to worry about that customer. You need to worry about the one who doesnt call to complain. I also dont get how "Quality" take so much longer. This job is basic, cut the lawn, trim the lawn, blow it off. If quality means taking your sweet time, just to convince the customer there getting a quality job.., then maybe everyone elses bottom line is increasing as yours is decreasing. Sell satisfaction, not quality....JMO

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Time for you to open a mower dealership :p

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

lol... you might want to take a class in econmics... numbers do not lie... our economy is just as strong as before 9/11... if that is bush's fault, then good job Bush!

9. Trukfr8

Trukfr8 LawnSite Member

Well that is totally up to you. I personally would never compromise "quality" for "quantity". Is there any reason why you can not give the same quality you are giving and figure out how you can speed the job up? And what about giving the customer something for free, something that won't take too much time. What I mean is, maybe you can pull a few weeds from the walk or the beds that stick out like a sore thumb. Or cut down a few dead branches or do some quick edging or something. The lowball LCO's sure won't do anything like that.
    I could go on and on about this, but this is just my 2 cents.....

10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Numbers dont lie, if you cant sell but 10 mowing jobs, at a level that you can make money at, you have few choices.
    1. You can quit and go into some other line of work, ( with that many Lco's a dealership might be nice)
    2. You expand your territory so that you can find more customers that will pay your prices.
    3.You unionize the other Lco's, (yep, price fixing)

Anybody that limits there services to an area of only 5000 people, isnt serious about running a business anyways.