Ok Now which Walk Behind would you choose from this list ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, May 22, 2003.

Which hydro walk behind to buy based on info in thread ?

1. Scag

18 vote(s)
  2. Toro

13 vote(s)
  3. Bob Cat

7 vote(s)
  4. Ferris

3 vote(s)
  5. Great Dane

2 vote(s)
  1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

As you may know I am in the immediate market for a 36" to 48" walk behind and due to the fact I can't get any demo's or help from the Exmark or Hustler dealers within 225 miles of me I have checked with the dealers that are willing to do demos and I am down to the following options ! Which would you go with ?
    It will be a Hydro !

Toro dealer is 65 miles away.
    Scag dealer is 65 miles away
    Bob Cat dealer is 48 miles away
    Ferris dealer is 210 miles away
    Great Dane dealer is 210 miles away

Toro and Scag are from same dealer
    Ferris and Great Dane are from same dealer

All three of these dealers have said they will do whatever it takes to maintain an excellent relationship after the sale! I have done business with the dealer 210 miles away and the rep is great! But they are 210 miles away! I would like to do business with them in the future ! They also sell John Deere, Cub Cadet, Bob Cat, Honda, and Toro ! So I could buy from them if they have a better deal and then take it to the guy 65 miles away for service but I think that would be dirty pool!
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Again...none of the above.

Put eXmark and Hustler at the top of the list.
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

My personal favorite is not on the list either. I hope it was just an oversight and not a lack of dealer presence for Gravely to not appear on the list.

4. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Turf Dancer,

Give Bill Keefe a call before you buy... He is the Distrubutor for Oregon Exmark and actually helped set up a distributorship in Brookings that will service my new Exmark... He will go the extra mile to see that you get what you want and are taken care of....

He operates out of Lucky Distributing in Portland at 800-777-5526 or his cell. is 541-953-9611.... See if he can help as I am ordering a 36" tthp with proslide and tiny tach....

You have my email if you have any other questions....

Good Luck, Clay
  5. Turf Dancer

As I said in the thread I have gotton no help from the Exmark or Hustler Dealers around the entire area.
  6. Turf Dancer

Gravely Man,

One of the same dealers that I talked to that sells Hustler also sells Gravely and guess what, same story "when you know what you want for sure let us know we will order you one" that helps alot. I wonder how many of these dealers would take on a product line without seeing it and trying it out ? I would bet none of them !
  7. Turf Dancer

What are you having to pay for your TTHP 36" ? I was quoted a big difference from the two Exmark dealers that wanted to order me one ! Oh did you get the ECS controls ?
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Tell ya what, send me your email address, I bet I can get a Hustler rep and an eXmark rep in touch with you PRONTO. Oh, I need your phone number.
  9. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont you have any dealers at all closer than almost 50 miles? Thats a long way to go for service. I guess I'd go with the Bobcat since its closest.

Its hard to vote when you eliminated the best two, Exmark and Hustler.
  10. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag 36" Hydro W/B and it's a very good mower. I mulch 100%. Use the marban blades and has a great finish.. I have never used any of the mowers listed, I have seen allot of these in action and they all have a great finish. It would be hard for me to drive 210 miles for service.. Luckily I'm not in that situation.. Good Luck..

Lou :cool: