OK Smart People!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gl1200a, Jun 14, 2005.

1. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new Turvent Series Two tow behind core aerator coming and I'm going to turn it from a manual lift to an electric lift by using an actuator arm for a satelite dish. Before you wrinkle your forehead too far be aware that this is the same exact setup used on the Gator Rator Core aerator. If you look closely at the top of the Gator you will see an 18 inch travel - multi voltage - 600 lbs capacity satelite actuator arm mounted to the top of the Rator used to raise and lower the the device.

F.Y.I. ... these arms are also used on motorcycles with sidecars to adjust the camber of the cycle, in relation to the sidecar, on different sloped roadways. So they have a wide variety of uses.

So my question is how the actuator motor would be wired to extend and retract the arm. My first thoughts would be that the arm would be wired the same as an electric window lift in a car window. It is through the (up and down) rocker switch for the door window and a relay that the voltage is simply reversed to the two wires connected to the actuator motor?

But, this is all new to me so does anyone have the correct solution for someone that has never wired something like this before or a source online with skematics?

Thank you one and all.

2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

Would You Like Fries With Dat

3. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

just taking a crack at it but is there a switch to shut down the motor. If it has a kill switch then there is live power going through it. rig it in there, the actuator is only powered by the switch so that should work, or go all out and get a fuse panel and make a new line for the acuator. jsut use the kill switch power though.

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Reversing the polarity seems to be the way, like you said with a rocker switch. That's how I got my chute blocker working.
    The only time power is applied is when the switch is rocked one way or the other.

5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

the RAD attachments built for exmark and toro and whatever else, also employ a linear actuator to lift blades, blowers, etc.. The way that they are wired is with a two wire setup running back to a momentary-off-momentary switch that pulses the motor along the two leads to lift or reverse the motor depending on which position you choose. 6 pole switch with power and ground going to the switch, an inline fuse before the switch straight from the battery. I'm not certain 600 lbs is enough for your application though. If you are coming close to maxing the lift capacity of the actuator, you may explode the overload bearing inside if you hit a hard bump with it lifted due to leverage. Make sure you have plenty of capacity over the actual weight of your aerator. Here's a company that makes the ones on the RAD equipment so that you can see the different styles and capacities http://www.powerdrives.com/electrak/

6. orangejbird

orangejbird LawnSite Member

"So my question is how the actuator motor would be wired to extend and retract the arm. My first thoughts would be that the arm would be wired the same as an electric window lift in a car window. It is through the (up and down) rocker switch for the door window and a relay that the voltage is simply reversed to the two wires connected to the actuator motor?"
    Exactly. And use a Door switch if you find one off of a junker.

Wiring diagram for my Snapper deck lift actuator. 1000 lb. Warner electric screw jack.
    Snapper part no. 36448 C ACTUATOR LINEAR $482.17
    47166 C WIRE HARNESS DEC $4.91
    35700 C SWITCH SELF CENT $26.33
    With a little searching I'm sure you could find comparable parts for much less.

snapper wiring.gif

7. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I knew I could find out the information from this site and it's knowledgeable members. Thank you so much. Norm