OK, so what do I do with the bare patches after pre-em?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Budman, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Budman

Budman LawnSite Member

I had a pretty good stand of large crabgrass in my yard last year, which has left several large bare patches where the old crabgrass has died off. I was thinking of using a pre-emergent to try to contol it this year, but what do I do with the bare patches afterward? The pre-em will prevent any grass seed that I sow from germinating, right? Should I wait until fall?

Thanks for any help!
  2. depends if you want bare spots till fall!
  3. Budman

Budman LawnSite Member

I would rather not have to deal with a couple of mud puddles, but I'm not too crazy about having a crop of crabgrass either. Would applying the pre-emergent, followed by seeding with perennial ryrgrass until the fall be an option? What about waiting for the crabgrass to germinate in those areas, followed by application of a post-emergent, followed by the above-mentioned ryegrass?
  4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Budman, would have been best if you had seeded last fall so you could do your preemergent control this spring.

That being said...it sounds like your biggest concern is having bare patches. They won't be bare all summer long, crabgrass is sure to fill them in.

Sooo, if it were me, I'd do the preemergent application. You won't get very good control on bare soil but the rest of the lawn should get decent control over crabgrass. Allow the grabgrass to fill in those bare spots, this will help keep the dust down and stop those 'mud puddles' from being a problem. Then seed those areas in the early fall this season.

Come next year your set to go with appling preemergent control over whole lawn and getting decent results.
  5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of grass is the lawn? A bluegrass lawn, as a rhizome type grass, will fill in a football sized bare spot on its own, even with pre-em in place.
  6. what about tupersan and overseeding?

7. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

If you only have a few bare patches, apply the pre-m and
    sod the patches. Of course water as needed. May take a little
    longer to root the sod, but with proper care it should work.

The other alternative is to seed, get it established and cut
    at least three times. Then apply dimension preemergent if within
    the month of May(usually in KY).

Another option is to spray Drive herbicide later in the month of may or june. Drive is primarily a post emergent but if timing is right offers some preemergence without harming seed. Drive also takes out dandelion, clover, plantain and a few other broadleaf weeds.
  8. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I would apply the pre-m then scratch the top 1/2 inch of soil up and seed. Alot of my customers do it every Spring and have success. You will probably get crabgrass in the summer, but at least you won't have bare spots. Then treat with Drive, or wait until next Spring to use the pre-m again.
  9. Organic-man

Organic-man LawnSite Member

If you have enough bare patches to rent a hydroseeder, do it. Hydroseeding is advertised as effective for dead patch filling and overseeding. If you put down a paper and polymer based mulch with the seed there should be no problem. Otherwise sod it.
  10. Budman

Budman LawnSite Member

It appears to be mostly a fescue type turf. There are a lot of other weeds too - probably should consider a total lawn renovation in the fall. We just moved there a year ago and the former owners weren't too concerned with the lawn.

This might be a tough one because we have two dogs (labradors) - might be tough keeping them out of the areas that have been reseeded. I definitely have a crabgrass problem - already seeing some of it popping up.

Would something like Drive be in order here, due to the other weeds (plantain, etc.)? Or should I just throw in the towel this season and wait until fall for a complete reovation?