OK..so who was it that said this will NEVER happen???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Carolina Cutter, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well you were wrong!

Gas prices here hit $3.01 a gallon for the cheap stuff this am. Things are getting bad. We are headed into a downward spiral if somebody doesn't do something.

I was thinking of raising prices of my customers but have hesitated due to the fact of knowing my customers are having just as hard of a time and may not continue service because the "expendable" funds are gone. Actually I am glad the season is almost over for this year as my profit margins are being cut AGAIN by the governmnet with the high gas prices.

So anyway, to whoever said it was all a scare tactic and it would never happen.......I think CROW is being served for din-din tonight. :realmad:

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

yyaaaaaawwwwwnnnnnnn :sleeping:

3. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you should move to Europe. There, they only pay about $8 per gallon for gas. That way you could get away from the government that raises the gas prices.

Come on now. Please explain to me how the government is cutting your margin by raising gas prices. The US economy runs on free enterprise.

I don't know how old you are, but I am 56. I am old enough to remember very well the early eighties. At that time, adjusted for inflation, gas prices were much higher. Why is it that groceries, real estate, cars and everything else go up in price for 25 years and there is noone panicing, but then gas prices start to catch up and it's mayhem?

Even in the LCO business, gas is not a MAJOR expense. If you think that the end of the world is near due to rising gas prices, I think you need to reevaluate a little bit.

Good luck,
    Doc

4. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Steak lately. What has our govenment done? This is crazy. GW raised our beef prices, he must own cattle. Damn, cars cost more than they used to. Cheney must have friends at GM and Ford. WTF does our government have to do with the price of gas? The government wants it low. GW made his money in major league baseball. His investments are in a blind trust. Most wealthy presidents leave office in worse financial shape than they entered. GET REAL.

5. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Stick this europe crap in your ear , WE AND IN USA NOT EUROPE DAMN i get sick of hearing that line of crap when 4-5bucks of that is taxes for europe.

Oh really since when was gas not a major expence ya fool.

take just a 15 gallon tank on a pickup truck (yes i know alot are bigger) But

15GX 1.25 agallon= 18.75
    15gx 1.75 = 26.25
    15g x 2.25= 33.75
    15X 2.50= 37.50
    15gx3.00= 45.00

Now when ya have to buy alot of gas per week tell me its not a major expence and i will tell you , You dont even do lawn care for a living or ya would not make such a idiotic statment

6. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Just filled up both tanks on my pickup yesterday before the prices jump up again.

$71.00 :eek:

I've never spent that much for gas before, and I'm worried that I'll will never be able to do it that cheap again.

7. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

I know how ya feel gas has shot up past 3.09 a gallon in parts of WV, I got firewood orders to fill and taking on more ,

Plus the yards for the rest of the year danged if this is not getting tough on the wallet.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

$110 here, but now I can get 109 octane racing fuel for $5/gallon the only question I have is if it's safe to run leaded fuel in a mower?

As far as who said it, *I* said fuel would be 3/gallon by end of summer.

9. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

People kill me. So do hurricanes. I find it amazing, that right now millions of people are being affected (directly or indirectly) about what has happen down South. being a Southerner (from deep South Alabama), I take it personally what is going on. People have lost theirs lives, love ones, houses, friends, family, personal belongings, and grass (not the smoking type either - well maybe that too). You might have found humor in that last part, but my point is, you complain about gas prices. That is a fact of business. Most of you will pass it along to your customer (whether you tell them or not) LCOs in the affective areas have no business, probably don't have any equipment or house either. I am sure they are not saying, "Geez, I lost my wife, my son, my house, every frigging thing I own, but you know what really pisses me off? Is that gas is up to $3 a gallon! I want the govt to bring down the gas, so my life can be backunder control."

For all of you screaming about gas prices - it sucks - but get over it! Your going to make your customer pay for it anyways. There are more important things in life, than stressing out over the cost of gas. Like your life for one. My dad use to tell me back in the 70s when we had that gas crisis. "Your going to complain till your blue in the face, but guess what? You will still pay for it, because you need it." Deal with it!

If you want to help, try Red Cross or somebody. Or start a donation for all of our board buddies from that area, so thay can go out buy a Murray lawn mower, so at least they have something to mow that all of that grass that is under 5 feet of water.

10. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

By my math we are paying $3.56/Gallon (US/USG) in the Metro areas of Perth. I run a skid steer, 5 tonne excavator, 9 tonne truck and various blowers, chainsaws etc. A year ago my weekly fuel bill was less than $500 (AUD), now its over $1000.00 :dizzy:

In rural areas of West Australia its up to (more math) $4.40/Gallon (US/USG).

Don't know many operators who haven't put their rates up..

For the imperial vs metric minded (we are into metric down here) fuel (diesel) is currently around $1.26 (AUD) per litre with 3.7 litres to the US Gallon. Petrol (Gas/Unleaded) is around $1.16 per litre. The current exchange rate is around 76 cents US to the Aussie dollar. Hope I'm not boring you guys :rolleyes:

Cheers