OK, somebody tell me...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Planter, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Why is a street ell called a street ell and what is the origin of the name toe-nipple or nipple-toe?

The collective minds here should know and I have searched for an answer and can't find one.

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

TOE stands for "threaded one end" which means the other end is glued onto. Rather than saying TBE (threaded both ends) we just designate "nipple" that is already undestood to be threaded at both ends.

As far as street el I'm sure that is an old plumbing term but I don't know where it comes fromm.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Street elbow might come from ancient plumbing days when everything was done with threaded pipe and fittings, and street elbows would see use in connecting to the water main.

4. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

That explains the TOE and I always wondered why the nipple box and catalog said TBE. That explains a lot, thanks!!!

Now for the one that really is killing me, why is it a STREET ell?

5. PurpHaze

Could be true. A lot of tapping of main lines was in existence and the male end would allow threading into that tap, be turned in the direction you wanted the pipe to run and then the female end would accept the first 20' stick of galvanized pipe.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There probably were a few stop valves in the picture - a 'corporation stop' that got threaded directly into the main, and a 'curb stop' that was accessible for key operation. I have a waterworks catalog somewhere with a rig for doing the tapping, drilling, and corp-stop installing, all while the main is under full pressure.

7. PurpHaze

Basically the street el saves having to put on a nipple. I use them (especially on old 1" turf galvanized swing joints frozen up) to start a new swing joint off an existing galvanized 90 or coupling. Insert street el and then build new material swing joint off that. I know I could use a Marlex 90 for the same purpose but some of these old galvanized parts are so rusty and/or partially cross-threaded that the gal-to-gal seats better.