OK, This Is What I Was Told

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodfather, Feb 12, 2003.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ferrris 32" Hydro WB.

Been a lot of stuff said back and forth about Ferris's 32" WB. Today, I went and chatted with the Second in Command at a big Ferris Distributorship close by (who also happen to be a client of mine). These people handle all the Dealers in PA (including yours GarPA), NJ, DE, MD, Long Island, plus a couple of counties in Southern NY. That adds up to over 100 Dealers.

I asked,

"How come guys on LS are telling me they can't see this new 32" WB and demo it?" His reply was, "Their local Dealer hasn't purchased one yet, that's why". And on top of that he said, "And many Dealers won't even bother because the machine is too small for them, they only deal in Z's, or WB's, etc."

So if you want to see/demo one of these units, bottom line is, your Dealer needs to buy one first. I guess Ferris is not going to arbitrarily send one out to each Dealer to be put on the showroom floor.

This Distributor told me they just sent out around 40 of them to their Dealers in the last week or so...maybe one will wind up at yours. Hope this helps clear up some confusion. Oh, almost forgot. You don't steer them with brakes and they come with either fixed or swivel front casters.

BTW, don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger guy...LOL

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

:gunsfirin RodFather :gunsfirin

Sounds like there is a dealer problem then.

3. rodfather

Dunno hoss...at least they were straightforward with me. I just questioned the fact if you want to introduce and market a new product, free demos should be available...at least a couple anyway.

But I also understood when they said they weren't just going to put one in every Dealer's showroom for whatever reason. We'll see I guess.

BTW, I was told that the 2 Dealers out by GarPA probably would not purchase one without a commitment from a customer. They don't stock equipment that small.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Hey rodfather, this is a little off the subject. Is it really worth it to spend the extra on a hydro 32? I usually just get hydro's on my larger machines for ground speed on open areas. Most of the areas I need a 32 for are small backyards. Just a question

:confused:

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is strange to say the least. I would not ever contemplate buying anything mower wise without being able to demo it. Thanks for letting us know!

Gravely_Man

6. rodfather

Well that is one of the nice things about this mower...it is hydro and sells for only $2400.

This whole discussion about this unit came up months ago when GarPA asked if I knew anything about it. He told me he had slopes that a 22" took too long and weed-whacking them left them looking kind of shabby...hence the 32" maybe. I told him I was unfamiliar with it, but would check it out since I have some pull with the Mid Atlantic Ferris Distributor (not only are they a client, but the President and I went to high school together).

I ran it last Fall and liked it. Plenty of power, steers easy, deck raises and lowers fast, and has front-locking castors for slopes (I believe that is what got GarPA originally so interested in it for the first place) for some of his accounts.

This unit also comes in a belt drive too I might add. It's kind of funny...even though this machine is hydro, Ferris really doesn't consider this a commercial machine. Commercial to them is their 36" model.

GarPA wanted the hydro vs. belt for the slopes he would be cutting. Your situation may be similiar or different...I can't say.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Gotcha!! :D

8. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

Does the 32" Ferris look like a commercial walk-behind, or does it look more like a 22" self propelled? Any pictures available?

9. rodfather

It looks and runs like a commercial WB...it's 6'2" long...it's a nice unit and I think for the applications it's intended for, it will prove itself admirably.

my 2 cents

10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Rod

If you plan to purchase this unit with steep hilss in mind I would think you're looking at it backwards.

The wider the deck the better the stability. I know of several hillsides we attempted with a 36 hydro that were just too steep for that small a deck that do much better with a wider unit.

Just my .02