OK This might be stupid but..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CNE, Apr 26, 2004.

1. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

Does anyone have trimmers that turn clockwise? I have a residential Ryobi (had it before I started my business, use it only for a backup) and it turns clockwise. I can walk fast to the right and trim as I walk. I have a Stihl FS85 but it turns counterclockwise so I either have to walk backwards or the clippings go into the bed. Just wondering if there was a commercial that turned clockwise. Does this sound like a stupid request?

2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I heard ecco turns clockwise. I never used one, just what I heard

Bill

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always wondered about that myself. Why not make it so that it scatters the stuff away from the operator rather than right at his or her legs?

This is one of those no-brainer deals that someone should have done a looooong time ago. Make a lot of money just making the thing spin in the opposite direction. Duh!

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Try using the other side of the trimmer line while it is spinning......................you can use them 2 different ways ya know..........................
    I won't add the "duh"
    Oh I just did.
    LOL

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I thought that straight shaft trimmers turned counter-clockwise and curved shaft trimmers turned clock wise

6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

All mine turn counter clock wise........its hell on daylight savings time!!!!

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as I know also, you are correct. But I have never found anyone who could explain to me , why this is so. Most people say"I don't know, I never really thought about it before".

8. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

Quite a few years ago I had a couple curved shaft sthil's and if I remember correctly, they turned clockwise. I use straight shaft Echo's and they do not.

9. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

Bob I think you are right. If you walk the other way and trim it will throw the other way like mentioned above.

10. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I've got an ancient FS35 that does indeed rotate clockwise, so you are correct. (had to use the old beater today)