Ok to over-seed in East Tennessee now?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by isomaad, Mar 4, 2008.

1. isomaad

isomaad LawnSite Member

I was wondering if now would be a good time to over-seed in the mountains of East Tennessee or should I wait a while longer? We have about 1.5 acres of grass that has really suffered because of last summers drought conditions. I was also hoping someone could answer a couple of other questions concerning seed, fertilizer, and aerating or slit seeding.

Would the Lesco Transition blend be a good seed for my area or can someone recommend another maybe cheaper quality seed?

What about a starter fertilizer, any recommendations on good brand to go with?

Also, I plan to aerate using a pull behind plugger and going over the yard in two different direction to make sure there are a lot of plugs removed. Would I get good results by over-seeding with a drop spreader after aerating or should I rent a slit seeder to get better results? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!

Johnny
    http://www.pbase.com/big24fan

2. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Johnny,

Go ahead an seed now. This weekend looks like it would be a good time to do it, but as you know they change the weather here like its nothing. As they say around here, if you don't like the weather.... wait a few minutes and it will change!

Anyways, go ahead and aerate and seed now. Try to have it down before St.Patty's Day. Also, the Lesco brand is great for our area. It is a great blend of tall fescue. Go ahead and stay with the same brand and buy their Starter Fert. As for your other question about the slit seeding or drop..... the drop is fine since you are going to aerate it first. Just try to make tight turns to have ample coverage. The slitseeding is basically a job in itself. Aeration would not be neccesary with slitseeding.

3. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

i would go with the slit seeder and one that drops the seed in front of the knives i think you get a better seed to soil contact that way. you can rent them fairly easy around here.

4. isomaad

isomaad LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! I think I'll just use my plug aerator and make several passes and pray for plenty of rain. After I started pricing materials, I couldn't believe the prices on seed and fertilizer. I might have to go with Rebels Supreme, Rebel Exeda, or Rebel IV to save a little money. The price per 50LBS is roughly the same for those and the Lesco but the coverage area stated on the Lesco 25Lb bag is 8000sq' which would be 16000sq'/50lbs All of the Rebels state 25000sq'/50lbs. That's quite a bit more coverage/50lbs. I wonder why the Lesco states a smaller coverage area when it is a TTTF like the Rebels? Have any of you guys had experience with any of the Rebels variety's? Also, could I substitute a Trip10 fertilizer for the more expensive starter variety's? Thanks guys!

Johnny

5. TScapes

Anytime you are overseeding, you need to be putting about 3-4lbs per 1000 square feet. That means a 50lb bag should get you 12.5-15,000 sq.ft. If you are seeding bare ground you go at 8lbs per 1000 sq.ft.

What you are saying is that Rebel is stating to put down 2lbs per 1000. That is way too low in my opinion. If cost is a thing for you, then just go to a CO-OP and get basic Ky-31 (Kentucky 31). This is cheap hardy grass. It is not the most desireable grass, but it's what we call "Contractor's Grade" seed. The state puts this out on the side of the interstate. It will grow anywhere! It is a more course, tough grass than that of tall fescue. But it is definately cheaper.

6. isomaad

isomaad LawnSite Member

Yeah, I was looking at the descriptions on Home Depots web site and it says the Rebel variety's cover up to 25000sq'. I guess if I was looking at the back of the bag it would probably say that is for light overseeding or something which is not what my poor yard needs right now. I agree with you that I should be putting down at least 4Lbs/1000sq'. I actually thought of the KY-31 route as well, but I'm not sure If I would be happy with that. Have you ever seen a KY-31 lawn that looked really good? My yard is not flat by any means and it has a lot of hills and dips in it. I don't think it will ever be immaculate like some of the lawns I've seen on here, so I don't know. Decisions...decisions! Thanks again!

Johnny

7. TScapes

For where you live (rural area) I would think that ky31 is fine. My father in-law has 10 acres in clinton, and that is what he put out. If you want a tight manicured look, go with the higher grade of seed. If you strictly want green grass, go with ky31. You have to put things in perspective. If you want your lawn to look like a lawn you see in a nice neighborhood, then you get what you put into it. If you want a green yard for yourself, just go with the cheaper vesion.

8. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about Tenn, but up here in South Jersey I have noticed at anew construction site that the grass is germinating. I guess they seeded it and put hay over it and now it is starting to grow. I know I will be seeding my yard in about two weeks..